PDA

View Full Version : mikroBASIC

BigWumpus
- 23rd December 2007, 13:22
Hello,

I worked the last 2 weeks with this compiler, because there is some work to be done using a mmc with FAT16 and there is no code for pbp around.

It's a nice compiler with a huge packet of lib-functions for the hardware and even more - but the generated code is ... suboptimal.
I think, it is a pascal-compiler with a changed syntax.
If someone want's to enter a new world, just try a look, but the compiler is not without any problems! You must change your way to code.
You can use functions, but the parameter-handover to the functions needs a lot of code.
You can use local variables ! - But they don't know bit-arithmetik.

But without that compiler I have to write my own FAT16-lib...

BrianT
- 23rd December 2007, 19:37
There are other ways to get mass storage card access than converting to another compiler with all the fun and trauma that entails. I have just used the Vinculum VDIP1 with a PIC 18F4620 project. The VDIP1 takes serial data from the PIC and drives the USB interface. The VDIP1 handles the FAT 12, FAT 16 and FAT32. By using a common USB to CF, MMC, SD, etc, card reader you get read and write access to most memory formats.

In my application I log data from a scientific instrument to a USB stick. I am using the default 9600 bps async uart writing to a 1 GB USB memory stick.

I have posted the code under the Code Examples section.

Cheers
Brian