PDA

View Full Version : POT command

Michael
- 2nd December 2008, 22:54
I haven't messed around with it yet but what I want to do is create a reasonably precise set of time delays with a PIC.

I could program pins to do this as I only need several values but was thinking I bet I could do it with pot on a single input pin? (I've never used pot before)

What would be cool is if the trimmer had enough range, I'd like to jump in several 5 second increments.

Say, fully CCW = 15 seconds.

As you move the pot CW, there would be a trigger point for 20 seconds, the next 25 seconds and so on....till "whatever"....40 seconds or so.

As I fall into a range of values, an I/O pin would go high along with an led designating the delay time.

b0 = 15 secs
b1 = 20 secs
b2 = 25 secs etc

Feasible?

Can you in essence make "pot" sort of a precision pot?
Like....
If blah blah = a range of values then delay = 20 seconds

THANKS

mackrackit
- 3rd December 2008, 00:24
It could be done, But I think you would be happier with a 10 bit ADC.

The pot as a voltage divider, no capacitors to mess with...measure the voltage, maybe even have a reference voltage to "tune" it.

The manual even says the values have to be experimented with when using POT command.

Michael
- 3rd December 2008, 12:47
Yeah, I thought of that....haven't really done much with anything other than purely digital I/O stuff....it'll be fun to play with it.

Also thought I could use the internal timers someway...

Reset to zero every time it hits the maximum of 40 seconds and sample the timer in my loop, looking for a small range of values in the register that would denote 5 second increments?

Another possibility?

Ryan7777
- 4th December 2008, 20:28
Drugs er bad, MMmK? Don't do drugs...

I'd go with the ADC, its easy to use, fewer parts, easier to scale.

just say no to POT.

RussMartin
- 4th December 2008, 21:03
I agree with mackrackit and Ryan7777. Use ADC capability; it is truly easy. I did a nice little thing with a 12F683 that reads three different pots for three different time values.

mackrackit
- 4th December 2008, 22:33
One of my favorites :)
http://www.rentron.com/PICX2.htm