I know this has been covered in lots of posts in various ways but I am swamped in confusion as to how to do my RGB Led dimming. I have a pic16f628 and looked at sPWM and it is all fine but at the same time I want to do some IR stuff to control the colours and perhaps some analogue input. Nobody's life depends on it, it it is just for fun but I can't work out what road to go down. PIC16f628s are in my cupboard, and sit nicely in my programmer with LEDs to test but obviously sPWM falls over as soon as I want to sit there waiting for an IR input.
There is this: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10564 Thread: MIBAM - (Mirror Imaged Bit Angle Modulation).
Looks interesting. Can this do it in the background?
Or HPWM? I think that means moving to a 28 pin PIC which is a bit large for such a simple task. On this front there seems to be two hardware options CCP or some PICs seem to have dedicated pwm pins. Which is the simpler to use for a novice who struggles to understand Microchip datasheets. I have my mosfets sitting eagerly waiting for pwm, I just am confused as to what road to set off on.

I'll start my infra-red confusion in another thread when it comes to it!

Any pointers and ideas would be appreciated.