PDA

View Full Version : Rfid Reader- Pic

cleas001
- 10th January 2008, 19:13
hello-
i wish to connect a RFID reader to a PIC and then to a LCD so that i can display the TAG IDs.
However i am completly stumped when it comes to connecting this set-up ( as i am reasonibly new to the world of electronics) - the reader which i currently have is a core- 12
http://www.rfidshop.com/core-12-rfid-reader-module-110-p.asp
do you know if this is possible?
do i require additional hardware?
how can this be done?

help with any of these would be gratefuly appreciated thank you

skimask
- 10th January 2008, 19:22
However i am completly stumped when it comes to connecting this set-up ( as i am reasonibly new to the world of electronics) - the reader which i currently have is a core- 12

Yes, the PIC can do it. Yes, PBP will be very useful.
Yes, if you are completely stumped as to how to connect this setup and you are new to the world of electronics, you are most definetely in over your head. Quite frankly, this is a simple project, for an experienced person anyways.
But, don't let that rant stop you in the least.
What kind of equipment do you have, if any? Programmer? Dev Board? Compiler, etc?
What experience, if any, do you have, programming PICs, or any MCU for that matter?
Made any blinky LEDs or anything like that?

cleas001
- 10th January 2008, 19:27
yes ive got basic knowledge of programming and ive got all that equuipment avialiable should i need it - im just confued by the data sheet supplied with the reader - as to which pins i would need to connect the PIC towould these be the 2 free data lines?

skimask
- 10th January 2008, 19:31
yes ive got basic knowledge of programming and ive got all that equuipment avialiable should i need it - im just confued by the data sheet supplied with the reader - as to which pins i would need to connect the PIC towould these be the 2 free data lines?

Looks like pin 9 (ASCII out, TTL) to me, just like the datasheet says.

Ioannis
- 10th January 2008, 20:42
The core-12 reader has a serial output at TTL level. So it is a piece of cake to connect and start getting data into your PIC. PBP supports Serial protocol (RS-232) either in software or in hardware. I recommend the second using Hserin command if your PIC has a UART. Note that you need to put a MAX232 chip. The core-12 has inside it an inverter. If you are going to use a PIC with no UART, then use Serin2 command with invert parameters.

Every time you cross a card over the reader, a stream of ascii data are output of the core-12. Have your PIC read the stream into an array and you are done.

More about syntax, examples etc, put the words that you just read into the search of this forum. You will find everything on Serial ports, LCD, ASCII, and us here when you write your code that obviously is not going to run first time! 8-)

Ioannis

cleas001
- 11th January 2008, 16:05
hello
you mention about the serial port? is this to conect to computer? - i do not wish to conect my device to a computer- is there a way in which the PIC an process the information to display on the LCD - withouht having to go through a serial port?
the type of LCD i mean is one like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&DOY=11m1&ModuleNo=36389&criteria=

skimask
- 11th January 2008, 16:57
yes ive got basic knowledge of programming and ive got all that equuipment avialiable should i need it

you mention about the serial port? is this to conect to computer? - i do not wish to conect my device to a computer- is there a way in which the PIC an process the information to display on the LCD - withouht having to go through a serial port?

These 2 statements seem to conflict.
How much MCU programming have you done? Not Windows, not Visual Basic, actual MCU programming, at the binary/hex level?
Reason I ask is that if you are somewhat knowledgable in this area, then you would know that a fair share of PICs out there have built in UART specifically for external serial access, and those that don't are able to obtain external serial access by means of software emulation through PicBasicPro (or other compilers out there).

cleas001
- 11th January 2008, 19:59
hello thanks for all the help so far
in answer to your question i have so far been doing my programming in mplab - so i knowledge of the programming methods and languages in that.

Ioannis
- 12th January 2008, 13:20
I suggest to read again the answers especially #5 word by word. It is explained that PIC can do serial rs-232 either in hrdware or in software. To succeed in this project you have to read a lot the data sheets of the pic you are going to use and the manual of the PBP that obviously you have not so far. Please, please search and read. All info's are in front of you. It is easy project, you have all the resources, so do it!

If your code is not working we are here to check it out. But don't expect to write it for you... Unless you pay for it! $-)

Ioannis

Art
- 12th January 2008, 15:31
Someone's gone to a lot of trouble to make a program that should be one or two hundred lines
about one or two lines.
Two lines is about all it is in the main routine if I remember.
The serin command that has a "wait" option, and the LCDOUT command.
Those two lines wrapped in a loop is your program.