PBP3 MCS question on device support.

Closed Thread

Question PBP3 MCS question on device support.

I just ordered a new PICKIT 3, it should be here in a week or so. However up till now my choice for chips has been

12F675
    12F683
    18F4550
    these were the ones I worked with mostly, as they have the most versitile options for their series, some others I have are
    16F88
    16F690
    16F688
    These I have tested some stuff with but usually dont go further with them. I have alot of other chips but dont use them generally.

Question #1
    Now with the new PICKIT 3 I should be able to program any chip that MICROCHIP is currently producing, Including the 18F46K80. However I am using PBP 2.6 and MCS 4.0 and there is no option for that particular chip, so do I need to use a different IDE like MPLAB or do I need to upgrade to PBP3.0 Gold and use the new MCS that comes with that?

Question #2
    What chips would other users suggest that are more advanced than the ones I have listed, keep in mind I like to use
    ADC (only 1-4 channels usually @ 10bit) (higher is ok and wanted)
    PWM (using only 1 now, But would like Lots more --8 if possible--)
    Prefer PDIP Chips (Favorite is the 40 Pin 4550 chip)
    Lots of Program Memory, so if its a series chip please list the highest chip with a max of 40 pins.

Question #3
    Can I program higher bit PICs (not just the 8bit series) with PICKIT3 and MCS? I have never done anything but the 8bit style, just wondering.
    Chris

Any man who has accomplished anything in electronics at one time or another has said... " STOP! WAIT! NOOO! Dangit.... Oh Well, Time to start over..."

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: PBP3 MCS question on device support.

I can answer one of your questions. I use the 18F46K80 and this can be programmed with PBP2.60C which is free if you have an earlier version of 2.6.

There is a new line of 16F chips that look pretty slick and you need PBP3. Check out the PIC16F1789 etc.

Regards

cool, downloading version c update, I had version b.

Does anyone know if you buy PBP3 Gold, do you get MCS5 for free? I had heard that somewhere I thought?
    NOTE: Yes it does, I found it in the Technical Data page of the PBP3 site! Whew.. At least that saves a little cash.
    Last edited by wdmagic; - 11th September 2013 at 22:15.
    Chris

Any man who has accomplished anything in electronics at one time or another has said... " STOP! WAIT! NOOO! Dangit.... Oh Well, Time to start over..."

Quote Originally Posted by wdmagic View Post
    cool, downloading version c update, I had version b.

Does anyone know if you buy PBP3 Gold, do you get MCS5 for free? I had heard that somewhere I thought?
    NOTE: Yes it does, I found it in the Technical Data page of the PBP3 site! Whew.. At least that saves a little cash.

I got the PBP3 Gold package about a year ago . It was the best money spent , worth every penny . Specially with the help and the information on this forum it became the best tool I have .

Quote Originally Posted by Vett58 View Post
    I got the PBP3 Gold package about a year ago . It was the best money spent , worth every penny . Specially with the help and the information on this forum it became the best tool I have .
    And you get a much more comprehensive book than earlier versions. Better samples.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.