Hot Servos

Closed Thread

Thread: Hot Servos

Hybrid View

Default Hot Servos

Hi, Ive got 4 servos in an enclosed space and after running for a while ive noticed that they are getting very hot. Is this normal for servos? I also have 4 voltage regulators (1 for each servo) with heatsinks and they are pretty hot too. One of the servos is constantly making a noise (like its just correcting itself). I know this will use more current and cause more heat but they seem to be getting way too hot.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Regulators . . .

You might double check those regulators were not installed backwards ( power in the out and out the in) they get a bit hot that way and do not regulate too well. Ask ME how I know that
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Hi, The regulators are the correct way. I did make that mistake in the original design but luckily realised before i etched the PCB and plugged the servos in. They are running from a 12V supply so they probs wouldnt last long if the regulators were wrong.

The power supply is a desktop PSU (similar to a laptop PSU) and it is capable of outputting 7A. As far as i understand the voltage is correct so 7A shouldnt cause a problem but im not overloading them am i?

Ive opened the skull (yes, skull!) and turned the servos on. It seems that at least 3 of them are constantly twitching but its not noticable just by looking at them. I know that will cause a huge power drain through the regulators but i wouldnt have thought the servos would mind as they are designed to constantly correct their positions.

I think the slight twitching could be caused by my code but it is written in assembly and goes into a tight loop before the timer overflows so it should be accurate to 400ns.

Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    Hi, The regulators are the correct way. I did make that mistake in the original design but luckily realised before i etched the PCB and plugged the servos in. They are running from a 12V supply so they probs wouldnt last long if the regulators were wrong.
    (12v - 5v) * ~350 mA ( servo w/ small load ) = 2W per regulator

is it enough to show ???

The power supply is a desktop PSU (similar to a laptop PSU) and it is capable of outputting 7A. As far as i understand the voltage is correct so 7A shouldnt cause a problem but im not overloading them am i?

Ive opened the skull (yes, skull!) and turned the servos on. It seems that at least 3 of them are constantly twitching but its not noticable just by looking at them. I know that will cause a huge power drain through the regulators but i wouldnt have thought the servos would mind as they are designed to constantly correct their positions.

your servos should have no load other than moving parts of your skull ... especially no STATIC load ... ( like compressing a spring coil )
    so, all moving parts have to be balanced to create a minimum load on the servo @ " neutral position " or steady positions ...

I think the slight twitching could be caused by my code but it is written in assembly and goes into a tight loop before the timer overflows so it should be accurate to 400ns.
    I do not think it's a real problem ... theres a " deadband " around the steady position : about 2µs to 10µs ( from best to worse servos )

Now ... some servos draw not negligible current to hold position with very light loads ... some need quite a load to begin to draw current ...
    This belongs to servo caracteristics ...

Say ... the smaller the servo, the Higher the current draw @ 1kg*cm torque i.e.

from 250 mA to 750 mA ... depending on the servo size and ... brand.

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

I dont think the regulators are the main problem. They are getting quite hot but they have heatsinks on them and ive had one running hotter for a few hours without problems.

The skull is more balanced than any other that ive seen. The jaw servo is in the center instead of at the front. One problem ive heard with this kind of project is that when the power is cut the skull will look straight down. Mine doesnt have this problem. It remains exactly where it was so the servos definately arnt struggling to keep the skull in position.

I did have a servo tester (now blown up after forgetting the 5V regulator) and all 4 servos worked fine with that. If its not my code thats causing the buzzing then there must be some fault on the circuit but i cant find one.

As my code listens for serial data i cant jump into the tight loop too soon but i calculated that it should jump in over 3,000 instructions before the timer overflows. Theres no way my program uses that many instructions in one iteration of the main loop.

Heres my tight loop for servo 1
    Code:
    Servo_Loop1							; Label: Servo1 tight loop

; Check if Timer3 has overflowed
    	BTFSS	PIR2,1					; If TMR3IF=1 Then: Skip the next line
    	GOTO	Servo_Loop1				; Nothing to do yet so go back to the start of the loop

BCF		_pServo1				; Turn the servo pin off

GOTO	Servo_Next				; Goto the subroutine that sets up the next servo
    The PIC runs at 10MHz with PLL (40MHz / 10MIPS). The servos were quite expensive but their deadband shouldnt be shorter than a few instructions.

Im going to go over my code again tomorrow because ive already found some stupid mistakes in it so there might be more. 1 thing i can think of is that i dont allow 18ms between pulses. There is a gap but i think its more like 10ms. That should be fine though right?

The Master , If I were you I would seriously look at the power supply for the servos. If it is not STIFF ENOUGH because of lack of current availability, the closed loop circuitry inside could be trying to compensate for it. I would take a scope or at least a AC voltmeter and watch the +5 volts that power the servos. If you are seeing more than a hundred millivolts or so, the supply is WEAK... This is also probably the case when you say that the servos make a buzzing sound when they are at a stable position, assuming the input pulse width is stable... Just my thoughts...

Dave Purola,
    N8NTA

[QUOTE=The Master;92102 1 thing i can think of is that i dont allow 18ms between pulses. There is a gap but i think its more like 10ms. That should be fine though right?[/QUOTE]

That might be some of your twitching. They should have 20mS between start of pulse and next start of pulse.
    http://www.scalerobotics.com

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.