The last Fourth Wish

Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Lightbulb The last Fourth Wish

Hi All,
    Here is disagreement between advantages and disadvantages of using PIC
    for your project that you can find right now on market.
    For any single project not possible to find a PIC that fits 100%
    any project specification.
    My Fourth wish is a special software that able to create from
    designed software, numbers of input/output pins- analog and digital,
    working frequency and specification - layouts for custom
    PIC manufacturing process.
    You design software and hardware parameters and get custom PIC that
    fits yours task.Then you send to company layouts and get back what really you need.
    Sometimes you need only one analog input, 3digital inputs, 3 digital outputs,
    1 high speed ADC – so you will get what you want and forget about misbehaved
    unused hardware components in standard PIC.
    In this case designing software will become absolute by one single standard for
    specific frequency ranges and numbers of pins.
    Best Regards to All

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Look into the cost of having a custom ASIC designed just for you - several hundred thousand to several million dollars.

Seriously, a more reasonable way to do it is to use an FPGA. But if you find PBP difficult, then an FPGA will be several orders of magnitude worse.

Actually, the PSOC does just that. You get x number of analog and y number of digital blocks, and you get to allocate them as you see fit. Seems like a real neat feature to me.

The biggest reason I didn't investigate further is those chips cost as much as an expensive pic. I guess I'd rather use a more affordable device that is designed to do the job rather than an expensive one-size-fits-all that has no other benefits.

> For any single project not possible to find a PIC that fits 100% any project specification.

Actually, over the years I have completed hundreds of projects where the PIC fits just perfectly.

> My Fourth wish is a special software that able to create from designed software, numbers of input/output pins- analog and digital, working frequency and specification - layouts for custom PIC manufacturing process.

Here PICBasic (PICBasicPro) seems to work... not only for me but for most people this forum. Learn to use it properly and you will find it works quite well for you too.

You design software and hardware parameters and get custom PIC that fits yours task. Then you send to company layouts and get back what really you need.

This is what happens already (for example with PCB manufacturing). Likewise this is what happens in the realm of consulting. You tell them what you want, how it needs to work, what it's supposed to look like, and (after you pay over a pile of money), you get back what you wanted.

Sometimes you need only one analog input, 3digital inputs, 3 digital outputs, 1 high speed ADC – so you will get what you want and forget about misbehaved unused hardware components in standard PIC.

It DOESN'T misbehave. Misbehaviour is due on your part forgetting the rules of design.

People who DON'T KNOW how, always wish that life was easier. You walk over to your Star-Trek replicator and speak your desires into the machine... a few moments later you open the door and miraculously it has been produced for you.

People that KNOW have an advantage over people that don't. But it doesn't have to be that way. Here, FREE OF CHARGE, I reveal to you the secret of your personal advancement... EDUCATION! This is the KEY. It unlocks closed doors. It stops you WISHING and starts you DOING, because you now have the KNOWLEDGE to make things happen.

Personally, I'd rather the whole world remained UNEDUCATED. Because then they'll continue to pay me large amounts of money to do things they could do for themselves - if only they knew how! *smiles*

Remember the secret (to all your wishes) is... EDUCATION. But let's just keep it a secret between us.
    Last edited by Melanie; - 18th March 2010 at 17:59.

I am glad that this is the last wish...
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Default Look no further!

I FOUND EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!

Thank me later...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_4004

And some memory to go with it (no, I will not help with interfacing)...
    http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/pdf2/7110.pdf
    Last edited by mtripoli; - 18th March 2010 at 21:51. Reason: goofing

It is a little pointless discussing the intricasies of products that don't (and may never) exist, or speculating what may or may not happen. Simply because if it never happens, you have wasted your time in a pipe-dream. This must be the internet equivallent of sitting round a table with your buddies and a beer at the end of the day and putting the world to rights - only without the beer and social contact!

There is nothing stopping YOU changing the world - Engineers are doing just that every day. Civilisation is built by Engineers. Engineers are action people - they don't sit around wishing for things to happen - they go and make them happen.

Which one are you? Are you going to sit and day-dream, or are you going to be an Engineer and turn dreams into reality?

Thumbs down

Hi All,
    Never smoke a pipe-dream.Thank you for refreshing memory.
    In 1980 I saw presentation of high resolution imaging 128 bits computer
    where 32 4bits processors works in parallel and supported by high speed and big capacity RAM.
    If we return to our PICs and make them able to work with high speed data storage and using them in parallel structure – yeah you are right we do not needs in any changes in present manufacturing product for now.
    I agree with you that my discussion is pointless but it is only wish and nothing personal.
    Best Regards

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.