PDA

View Full Version : Re: Lead free hand soldering

Steve_88
- 27th October 2008, 20:35
I'm want to try out some lead free soldering with a standard soldering iron. I do a lot of soic packages and surface mounts resistors/capacitors etc.

I would be interested in the type of solder others are using with good results?

Thanks

rmteo
- 27th October 2008, 20:40
Kester K100LD.

Steve_88
- 27th October 2008, 22:08
Thanks, any thoughts on the no-clean, organic etc type flux's?
regards

skimask
- 27th October 2008, 22:14
Don't forget...
If you're going to do actual lead-free soldering, everything that comes into contact with the iron, the PCB, the solder, the sponge, anything and/or everything must NOT come into contact with anything that has been in contact with any lead-based solder....Well, to keep it all 'lead free certified' anyways.
The 'school' I went to awhile back just started a section on lead-free repair work and I got some literature from some of the folks teaching there. It's amazing the stuff they have to buy and/or throw out, just to keep a completely lead-free setup going on down there. Even the lead-free rework room is in another building.
I haven't tried any methods yet. Don't think I want to either. Too many goods/bads to go with every type out there.
Let us know how it all goes...

Melanie
- 28th October 2008, 01:43
Lead Free melts at a higher temperature. You will need at least 25C above that used for Leaded Solder. 425C is a good temperature. A fixed-temperature normal iron that is designed for Leaded Solder (usually 360-380C) may not give nice results. Also, beware, Lead-Free is very aggressive and devours Soldering Iron Bits - buy some spares. It's not unusual to go thru a Bit per week if you haven't got a Nitrogen feed to the tip.

Tip: Unsoldering Lead-Free (especially on a THP board) is a right pain. It's not kosher, but solder the joint with Leaded Solder first, you'll find it then becomes more free-flowing and unsolders a lot easier.

Best of all, avoid Lead-Free if you're a novice. Poor soldered joints, especially around components that can get hot (eg Power devices), quickly oxidise with a black stain around the joint which is near impossible to resolder.

Steve_88
- 28th October 2008, 17:07
Thanks for all the input. I have an adjustable temperature iron (Weller WES51) which goes to 450 C or so.

I'm not a pro, but have done hundreds of soic packages ;) May have something to do with the bifocals I was just specified.

I'm just wanting to try it out the lead free way for curiosity sakes. I've read that its best to use a larger tip then normal to help with the heat transfer. Any suggestions on the type of flux? I'm looking at at the Kester K100LD, but not sure if I should go with the no clean, organic etc variant?

Melanie, I bought EasyPC as you recommended a few years back and just recently upgraded to the current version (12). I'm a novice at PCB layout, but I'm really happy with it :)

Thanks