PDA

View Full Version : Forget Digikey, JDR, etc-Buy PIC MCUs from www.microchipdirect.com!

rxforspeed
- 26th October 2008, 08:14
I guess this would be the appropiate area to post this information...

In the past, as I'm sure a lot of noobs have done, I have ordered my Microchip Technologies' line of PIC MCUs from melabs, digikey, anykits (who currently only offer the 18F2331), and various other distributors/retailers. NOT ANYMORE! After placing my first order through www.microchipdirect.com for a PICkit2 "low pin count demo board and programmer", and reviewing their prices and EXTREMELY great deals on MCUs (especially in their "discount" section), I will only purchase my PICs from them from this day forward...

I'm sure as most of you more experienced members of this forum well know, Microchipdirect's prices are right about half the cost or less of digikey's or melab's advertised prices for quantities of just ONE MCU! I thought I was getting a deal through digikey for orders of over ten PIC16F690's at $3.80USD each. MCHPDRCT's prices for the exact same part numbers-PIC16F690-I/P or PIC16F690-E/P are $1.91 and $2.08, respectively for quantities of only 1-25, and even greater savings for greater quantities. You don't even need a business account to order these directly from the manufacturer! If you're into programming the "baseline" devices (X12 architecture), substantial savings at prices of less than $0.50USD per FLASH MCU can be found there as well.

I owe the thanks for this discovery to the current members who have posted links to the PICkit2 in their posts; I am EXTREMELY grateful to these informative souls who have helped me find these savings. To all you "noobs", beginners, or others that give your money to digikey or another retailer/distributor, please check out www.microchipdirect.com before paying mark-ups of 250% or more by ordering from your current vendor of choice...

Another thanks to the members of this forum that have introduced me to the PICkit2. I'm sure I'll still continue to use my EPIC programmer (parallel port programmer from melabs.com) and my mikroElektronika PICFLASH (V7.1 ICSP USB programmer included on-board the EasyPIC5) when I'm here around my "development office" (actually a spot in the corner of my bedroom with my "programming computer"-an ancient 356 Intel PC, and a stand with a protected power supply for my XP-equipped notebook), but for in-the-field programming on-the-fly without my PC or notebook, or EVERY future circuit I build that WILL be incorporated with an ICSP connector, I have no doubt that my coming PICkit2 will be the most used programmer from the time it arrives from the UPS delivery driver. Again, thank you all for the introduction to the (in my opinion) "hands-down" best deal in an ICSP/ICD programmer/development tool currently on the market. I truthfully had absolutely no idea that Microchip offered such a great tool at such a low cost. Please, if you haven't already done so, bookmark microchipdirect.com and you can spend the funds you save on so many more great development/emulator/de-bugging tools manufacturered from the same company that supplies us with our MCUs of choice...

I am forever in debt to all you members of this forum for the introduction to this site. Now I can not only go broke buying a small selection of these tiny computers-on-a-chip, but will go broke acquiring more than twice as many MCUs, ICD headers and cables, and the software that will eventually advance me from the Basic language to not only assembly, but also "C" after I'm confident I've mastered my current compilers-PBC and PBP from melabs (then PICBasic from Proton/Crownhill and mikroBasic from mikroElektronika-neither of which I currently own in the full versions-just demo versions). I am forever in your debt for the time, help, cooperation, and consideration you guys/gals have shown not only me, but also the tools you've shown and introduced to other "noobs" and beginners alike on here...

One more "thanks" goes out to a Mr. Lester Wilson, who was kind enough to quickly and efficiently approve my registration for use of this forum. There's so much I still need to learn, understand, and comprehend before I can advance my PIC-related business efforts to greater levels, and despite the numerous datasheets, books, and info I've gathered to date, I can guarantee that I would struggle ten times as much without the kind-hearded and informative members here to help me "see the light" and understand my mistakes and shortcomings. I'm not only proud to be a member of this forum, but I'm also extremely grateful and excited to know that the problems I encounter will only be a post or two away and answered by people/persons that have the knowledge and experience that I currently lack; I hope to eventually become "one of you guys" and pass my knowledge on to the next generation/wave of "noobs", beginners, and all seeking help with thier current projects...

*Raises Miller High Life bottle* to propose a toast to the wonderful, helpful, knowledgable, and generally great community that has opened their arms to me...

Thanks for all your time, help, cooperation, support, and education that could-and will eventually-help me retire from my labor-intensive work and persue a new career in this field that I have come to admire, respect, and love within the past year or so...

Your help and criticism along my journey is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
-Adam R. Collins

Archangel
- 26th October 2008, 19:58
Hi Adam,
Microchip Direct non business account has the same prices (the ones I checked) as Mouser. The Business account is a little cheaper. I agree Digikey, Jameco . . . are higher. I like the service I get from both Mouser and MC Direct and would recommend either.

rxforspeed
- 26th October 2008, 22:53
I've heard of Mouser, but I've never checked out their website yet. I'll have to now, especially to compare prices with Digikey and Microchip Direct.

Another company I like dealing with (despite their location in India, which means shipping charges for me are a bit higher than companies located here in the US) is www.anykits.com. They offer a lot of the same or similar external periphal development and interface boards that www.mikroe.com offers, along with a great deal of misc. kits and other components, in a DIY kit form at a better price than mikroe's. I'm a soldering "fool", so I'd much rather build up a PCB on my own then order a pre-built assembly. Their customer service is great, and I've never had any problems with any of their products. I would definately recommend that others check them out, too...