PDA

View Full Version : Driver code for 14 segment LED display

Durward Searcy
- 11th December 2004, 02:48
Anyone know where I can obtain a routine to convert ASCII code into code to drive 14 segment LED display. Thank you.

mister_e
- 11th December 2004, 20:44
we need a few more info. In fact you can find almost everything everywhere but..

what type of hardware you want to use.

1. one PIC with all the i/o you need
2. one 8 pins PIC with external stuff like shift register
3. ???

is the ASCII come by serial, parrallel, by phone, by mental thought or else ?

what kind of display you want : bargraph, 7 segments (multiplex or not)

tell us we can certainely help you

Durward Searcy
- 11th December 2004, 22:32
Re: Driver code for 14 segment display

Steve:

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I need to program a 18F6720 to directly drive a Fairchild MDA6410
14 Segment LED display using PICbasic. I can get units that accept 2 bytes in hex in serial form but this will be a large volume application and external part count in of extreme impotance.

I would appreaciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Durward

mister_e
- 12th December 2004, 11:10
All hardware you need

1. 17 i/o pin (2 will be connected to transistor/mosfet to drive Common anode of each display)
2. few resistors (depending on how you want to do it, some like to use 1 by common anode or 1 by digit segment)

for the software
1. you must create a table to convert each number/character you want to display as output pin pattern on your PIC...store them into internal EEPROM or in a array... you'll need about 16 character x 2 (8bits + 6bits (we forget about decimal point)) so 32 EEPROM location or array of 32 elements.

Since you'll do kinda multiplex display, I suggest to use internal timer to toggle from the first to the second display. Should be fast enough to avoid display blinking.

how does it sound to you?

Durward Searcy
- 12th December 2004, 20:08
Thanks again Steve for the futher info.

Durward