PDA

View Full Version : USART to PC

tonyfelloni
- 13th October 2008, 23:11
Hi All

I'm at the moment setting up A 16F88 to communicate with my pc's serial com port. My issue is with the many circuits I have seen and the way in which to wire up the MAX232 converter. Almost every circuit i look at has the max232 chip hooked up differently and the 4 capacitors seem to be connected with random polarity in all the diagrams...
Anyway so far I've been unable to get a peep out of the terminal on the pc. Anyone know a circuit that definately works so I can be sure I have got this part right first.

Cheers

Tony

skimask
- 13th October 2008, 23:17
Are you using a real, actual MAX232? Or one of the many derivatives out there?
The datasheet for your particular MAX232 chip should show exactly where/how to place said capacitors...

I thought you got out of the PicBasicPro business...
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7808

Archangel
- 13th October 2008, 23:33
Hi Tony,
Are you sure of which COM port you are using ? Which terminal program are you using ? Can you tell your terminal program to switch com ports?
If not you may be able to change them in the computer's BIOS.

tonyfelloni
- 14th October 2008, 21:14
Hey Ski...No never, dont think i'll be leaving PBP any time soon although I have been cheating a little with Mikroe Basic!

I think your referring to a copy of PBP I sold a while back I bought 2 at the time because the company I bought it off in Italy were selling them for around €100 each for the Pro version think it was a sale (without vat it was even less :-P).

As for the chip, its a real MAX232CPE, allcircuits I was looking at used the MAX232 chip... anyway I was going to try again thisevening but I'm just too knackered, i'll give it a bash tomorrow and see how it all goes...

All the Best

Tony

tonyfelloni
- 15th October 2008, 00:09
Ok I lied about leaving it until tomorrow.... I just couldnt leave things alone! Anyway its all working now, I think it was just the polarity that was wrong.

Tony