PDA

View Full Version : button help

Kalind
- 8th October 2008, 13:08
How do i write code to create a means of storing a setpoint that can be incremented or decremented using buttons?

mackrackit
- 8th October 2008, 13:28
First setup some variables

cnt var byte
TSET var byte
TS var byte
TLOG var byte

Then the button VARs

TUP var PORTD.0
TDOWN var PORTC.3

This reads the eeprom at start up

read TLOG, TSET
TS = TSET

Then the code

START:
if TUP = 1 then gosub T_UP
if TDOWN = 1 then gosub T_DOWN
GOTO START

T_UP:
for cnt = 1 to 1
TS = TS + 1
write TLOG, TS
read TLOG, TSET
pause 100
next
return

T_DOWN:
for cnt = 1 to 1
TS = TS - 1
write TLOG, TS
read TLOG, TSET
pause 100
next
return

Kalind
- 8th October 2008, 13:51
ok that seems kewl. bt what if i had a high setpoint and a low setpoint and i wanted to use another two buttons, one to access the high setpoint then once the user has entered a value, the user could press the same button to exit and return to the main screen? the same goes for the other button.. im really pulling my hair off with trying to figure this out

Archangel
- 8th October 2008, 23:37
ok that seems kewl. bt what if i had a high setpoint and a low setpoint and i wanted to use another two buttons, one to access the high setpoint then once the user has entered a value, the user could press the same button to exit and return to the main screen? the same goes for the other button.. im really pulling my hair off with trying to figure this out
<h2> SO WHY SHOULD YOU BE THE ONLY ONE, WITH HAIR ?</h2> :D
Before you pluck out those last strands . . . Search for Clock examples by Melanie, she details how to use 1 button to do several things . . .

mackrackit
- 9th October 2008, 00:11
Hey Joe,
Have you tried miracle grow?

Kalind,
This might be the thread Joe is referring to.
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3600

If you use it. Read the value of Time and goto where ever from there.

IF Time = 3 THEN ???
IF Time = 9 THEN ?!?!

When that bit of code is ran, set Time back to 0 for the next run.

Oh, and if you have more questions, add a post to the thread, that way people that are working with you get an update in their e-mail. No e-mails for editing. I did not see you added more to the post until Joe replied.

Archangel
- 9th October 2008, 02:55
Hey Joe,
Have you tried miracle grow?

Kalind,
This might be the thread Joe is referring to.
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3600

NOPE ! I was referring to Melanie's Olympic timer. I had hoped Kalind would get busy and search for it. Ambition feeds the helpers. Anyway here is the link to her PDF file . . .http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=84&d=1091819883
Look at how She used buttons to do different functions.

mackrackit
- 9th October 2008, 03:49
Ambition feeds the helpers.
Agreed.
I was just trying to give the OP a boost. Get'em through that first project before they become completely lost.

Oh well, we will have to see where it goes from here ;)

Archangel
- 9th October 2008, 04:21
Agreed.
I was just trying to give the OP a boost. Get'em through that first project before they become completely lost.

Oh well, we will have to see where it goes from here ;)
So why does that <b>first</b> project have to be so complicated ?
Nobody fell out of the womb and landed on their feet in a dead run, human beings do not learn that way, we learn in chunks, and fail until we get the gestalt of that chunk, that becomes the cornerstone and we bite off another chunk, It's why some people here constantly ask about blinkys, cause if you cannot do that . . . you're basically screwed. You build a house, 1st Foundation, 2 stemwall, 3 Floor joists,subfloor, Walls, Rafters . . . If you build the roof first, then someone is going to have to help you put it on. In this instance, he would do well to set aside the keypad routine untill he can do with buttons what he wants, make the device work first, then think about how to JAZZ IT UP. Yes you can make a suit out of patches, but would anyone wear it to an interview?

skimask
- 9th October 2008, 04:51
Yes you can make a suit out of patches, but would anyone wear it to an interview?

I would! :D

Kalind
- 9th October 2008, 07:58
gee, that example is confusing. all i want to use is 5 buttons on port c of my 16f873.

button A = High Setpoint
buttonB = Low Setpoint
buttonC= Increment
buttonD= Decrement
buttonE= Return to main display

At power up of my device, I want my program to prompt the user to enter a high and low setpoint then continue to display the main program afterwards. If the user decides to change setpoint, then the buttons above can be used.

Archangel
- 9th October 2008, 09:57
gee, that example is confusing. all i want to use is 5 buttons on port c of my 16f873.

button A = High Setpoint
buttonB = Low Setpoint
buttonC= Increment
buttonD= Decrement
buttonE= Return to main display

At power up of my device, I want my program to prompt the user to enter a high and low setpoint then continue to display the main program afterwards. If the user decides to change setpoint, then the buttons above can be used.
Yes, it can be so why bother with all that keypad code then?

'simple if then loop
BUTTONA VAR PORTC.0
BUTTONB VAR PORTC.1
BUTTONC VAR PORTC.2 ' and so on . . .
MAIN:
IF BUTTONA = 0 THEN gosub High_Setpoint
IF BUTTONB = 0 THEN GOSUB Low_Setpoint
IF BUTTONC = 0 THEN GOSUB Increment
' More code goes in here

GOTO MAIN
high_setpoint:
'do something in here
return
Low_Setpoint:
'do something in here
return
Increment:
'do something in here
return

'more sub directories here

end

To address your original question, you may wish to store the value in the eeprom of your chip. Use WRITE command to store and READ to retrieve the values.

Kalind
- 13th October 2008, 11:38
think it will be easier to use 5 buttons instead of using a matrix keypad. How would I prompt the user to enter high and low setpoints immediately once the device is powered? With that, how would i configure a button to act as an "enter" button? The reason i ask this is because i want the program to ask the user to enter high setpoint then the user should press enter. The program should then ask the user to enter a low setpoint and pressing enter again will cause the program the jump to the main temperature display.

skimask
- 13th October 2008, 17:01
How would I.....
With that, how would i.....
i want...................
then ask......

Write some code...write some code...write some code. You have the PBP manual, you have internet access, you can search for methods on how to use BASIC, you can do almost anything, so, write some code. When that code that YOU write doesn't work, I'm sure a load of people here will help you troubleshoot that code to figure out why it doesn't work the way you want it to work. If you can't write the code, at least write out what you want to do on paper. Use a 'flowchart' type of setup. Just write it out. 'cause quite frankly, good luck finding somebody to write the code for you...

Kalind
- 14th October 2008, 06:52
skimask, you not obliged to reply. Keep your brilliance to yourself dude. You suck!

skimask
- 14th October 2008, 11:42
You suck!
That may be true. Some may even believe it. Here's the filename to my latest program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzd_ydoEGUk
What's the filename of your latest program?

mackrackit
- 14th October 2008, 13:12
Kalind,
Joe and I gave you some code to get started. Have you done anything with it?

In the mean time http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=64036&postcount=13 then get back to us.