PDA

View Full Version : Mosfets versus Transistors

Security
- 22nd September 2008, 00:54
When do you use Mosfets, when do you use transistors?

Regards

Security

skimask
- 22nd September 2008, 02:05
When do you use Mosfets, when do you use transistors?
Regards
Security

Wow! That's about an open ended question! With about a billion answers!!!
I guess it really depends in which context you plan on using said MOSFET or Transistor...
Generally speaking (very very generally speaking) - Both are good in many situations, MOSFETs work better as switches (On or Off), Transistors work better as amplifiers (not quite on, not quite off, totally on, totally off, somewhere in-between).

Security
- 22nd September 2008, 05:23
I just found out that mosfets are also transistors(metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors). So to transfer digital signals you should use this kind of transistor. Are mosfets connected the same way like normal transistors? Why should you use mosfets only in push-pull circuits, what are parasitical capacities in this context?

Can you show me an emitter follower circuit using a mosfet?

skimask
- 22nd September 2008, 05:27
So to transfer digital signals you should use mosfets. Are mosfets connected the same way like transistors?

Can you show me an emitter follower circuit using a mosfet?

I'd bet anything that Google could...
That Google...crazy guy he is... I type in 'mosfet basic switch circuit' into the search box and I get 50,000 + hits, in addition to over 17,000 image hits, and a whole boatload of circuits.
How about that...

Security
- 22nd September 2008, 06:20
So you cannot answer the questions. What a pity I thought you were intelligent. Well, I was wrong.

Acetronics2
- 22nd September 2008, 09:30
Hi, Sel ... Euh, sorry, ... Security

The main reason for using Mosfets is when you can't have ( or don't want ) current to drive the device ... but that is limited to slow frequency switching.

Other reason is their short switching time.

a further one is their low Rds ON ... compared to Vce sat.

On the other side ... you have to drive the parasitic gate to source capacitance, which is about 1.5 nF for power devices : not good for high frequency switching, induce the use of Mosfet Drivers.
AND do not forget the reverse diode ... that can be a problem.

So you cannot answer the questions. What a pity I thought you were intelligent. Well, I was wrong.

Try not to let Mr Hide reappear ... remember he is banned ...

Alain

skimask
- 22nd September 2008, 14:20
Reverse psychology is over-rated.
I may not be intelligent, but I know how/where to find the answers, which, and correct me if I'm wrong, is a far measure measure of intelligence.
And $20 says after you do a bit of searching, you'll be a little more intelligent also.

Pic_User
- 22nd September 2008, 16:06
So you cannot answer the questions. What a pity I thought you were intelligent. Well, I was wrong.Hi Secuity,

Here is a forum that is specific to questions about circuits and components.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/

Another poster was interested in learning more about this subject::)
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=61438

Elegant "in circuit programming"
One should use at least mosfets, opto-couplers OR transistors to electrically protect the circuit from the programming circuit.

Hope That Helps

Acetronics2
- 22nd September 2008, 16:19
Hi, Pic User

I'm afraid "Ted's" threads are no real use for "Security" ...

lol !

Alain

skimask
- 22nd September 2008, 16:35
I'm afraid "Ted's" threads are no real use for "Security" ...

Or anybody for that matter! :D