PDA

View Full Version : pic to pic to pic as peer to peer to peer

Geezer
- 5th September 2008, 02:42
Hi,
I am developing a automatic block system for a live steam club (non-profit). I intend to use this as a building block in my ever learning of the PIC Controller. What I want to do is have local logic control the block signals ( occupancy), engineer's requests ( for turn-outs) and drive the turnout motors(DC worm drive), but the blocks need to talk to each other as peers and not master\slave. I thought of rs-485 but I am not too familiar with the workings of it ( how to address each card, and how to send the words without collisions. One thought was to use a computer to host(act as a master) and serve the clients(the PIC's), but there are too many members that will not understand( because they choose not to).
I would like to do this in assembler if possible, but I am willing to learn another programming language if necessary.
So here's the project....Any Ideas are welcome

thanks

Geezer

Jerson
- 5th September 2008, 06:53
If you understand RS485, peer to peer is just a step further than master slave. Of course, collision detection is not built into RS485 and you have to design for it. Whether you choose assembler or any language makes no difference in the working.