PDA

View Full Version : Interconnect Many PICS

Josuetas
- 27th July 2008, 17:28
Hello all!

Itīs been some time since my last post.

I am intendig to create some kind of PICS network, every device should be able to Transmit and receive.

I Know the possibility of for example the I2C command with PicBasicPro, but i think i need some kinf of interrupt to receive data, i canīt afford to loop waiting for data and act according to it.

Any ideas on this matter would be great.

Thanks

Charles Linquis
- 27th July 2008, 18:38
Since you need mutiple masters (where any device can initiate a conversation), I2C is possible, but is a terrible mess.

I recommend that you use RS-232 in its open-collector variant. It is much easier to run multi-master, and PBP already has extensive support. It greatly simplifies things especially if the PIC you choose has a hardware USART.

I run 38.4 Kbaud on my little PIC network without any extra hardware support. If you have the ability to add one open-collector gate to every device, you can run up to at least 115Kbaud. I communicate between an 18F8723 and several 18F2221's. The 18F2221's are running on their internal oscillators. The network has been very reliable across wide temperature ranges.

Jerson
- 27th July 2008, 18:51
I am intendig to create some kind of PICS network, every device should be able to Transmit and receive.

You should consider RS485 networks - thats my bit.

Jerson