PDA

View Full Version : Best IDE / Compiler to use these days ???

gtvmarty
- 4th July 2008, 03:59
Hi All,

Just wondering what everyone's preference is, when it comes to BASIC compilers and IDE's?

I'm currently using PBPro 2.40 (yeh i know there's upgrades) and Code Designer lite 1.70

I see lots of other things around like PicBasic PLUS (what is this?) Proteous, Proton plus etc.

Just wondering if someone can point me towards something 'better' to use, as i'm quickly tiring of Code Designer ;-)

Thanx again,
Marty.

HenrikOlsson
- 4th July 2008, 06:36
Hi Marty,
Since this forum is for Melabs PicBasic products (PBC and PBP) I'd say that the preference of most people here is one of those. Personally I've never tried any of the others.

Proteus(VSM) is neither an IDE or compiler AFAIK. It's a code simulation package that "runs" your PIC-code on the PC with virtual peripherals such as LCD's etc, some swear by it some hate it - I never tried it.

As far as IDE's goes I use MCS Plus (http://www.mecanique.co.uk/code-studio/index.html) and I like it. It integrates nicely with PBP and with most programmers and comes with bootloader software and firmware for many PICs, built in RS232 terminal, ICD and more. Only thing I'm missing is code folding.

If you're really looking for another compiler, for whatever reason, I'd take a look at Swordfish - only for 18F parts though. There's also the compilers from MikroElektronika, they have a version for the dsPIC's, only one that I know of if your into those.

HTH
/Henrik.

mackrackit
- 4th July 2008, 07:00
PBP and MPLAB.

tenaja
- 4th July 2008, 13:31
Hi All,

Just wondering what everyone's preference is, when it comes to BASIC compilers and IDE's?

I'm currently using PBPro 2.40 (yeh i know there's upgrades) and Code Designer lite 1.70

I see lots of other things around like PicBasic PLUS (what is this?) Proteous, Proton plus etc.

Just wondering if someone can point me towards something 'better' to use, as i'm quickly tiring of Code Designer ;-)

Thanx again,
Marty.
I own PBP, and code with MCS+ as my IDE for it, written by Mecanique. This IDE does not allow user-written plugins for it. The compiler is based on the Basic Stamp 2 language, so it is very simple. It was written to be fool-proof, so there are many steps taken to ensure sound running code. This results in larger code. But it always works. PBP does an excellent job at parsing out complicated math statements. Software interrupts are pretty simple, but there is no direct hardware interrupt support, but Darrel Taylor has provided tools to do it. Upgrades are few and far between, consisting mostly of new PIC additions. (Only a couple new "features" have been added in the last five years.) This is a great compiler if your primary concern is getting code finished fast. Support here on the forum is excellent.

I also own Proton Development System, and the IDE was written by Mecanique. This IDE does permit plugins, and many have been written--and are very useful. One being a commercial product that allows you to step through your code using a serial port! Another is a tool to assist in macro generating so you can "create your own commands" and make them portable. PDS compiler was also loosely based on the BS2, and is fully compatible, but many commands have been upgraded and replaced with more efficient versions. This compiler also includes graphical LCD commands, along with many more not in PBP or BS2's. It does not do as good of a job parsing out complicated math statements, but if you separate them and limit them to one per line, your code ends up being about 20-30% more compact than with PBP, and even better if you use the Optimiser (spelled that way because it was written in the UK). PDS has native provisions for both software and hardware interrupts in the current "pre-release version", complete with context saving. They've just upgraded many things and have ironed out the last of the bugs before giving a "full" release. Upgrades are typically more substantial than PBP upgrades, and bugs are always addressed very promptly (as they are in PBP, too).
PDS includes a sample version of Proteus, so you can run your programs on simulated development boards. Being able to watch your variables change and step through your code is very very helpful when you are having problems. This is an extremely powerful tool, and if you can afford the full version you can even simulate the PIC in a circuit of your design, complete with analog simulation.
PDS is a great compiler if you want compact & efficient code with room for growth, in both the IDE and the compiler. The cost is about the same, but the compiler is miles ahead of PBP. Forum support is about the same as here.

Mecanique also wrote the Swordfish compiler, so its IDE is very similar to the above two IDE's, but more like PDS's because it allows plugins. This language is more like a C compiler than either PBP or PDS, and as has been mentioned, it is only for the 18F's. It is a lot more complex, and is probably a good choice if you already know programming and you are working on a very large program. It is structured, meaning you can create local variables within functions/procedures. I have only worked with it a little. At this point if I were to move away from PBP or PDS I would go with a C compiler that supported more than one series of PIC.

I would suggest checking out Labcenter's Proteus forum and ask about languages there. Labcenter has extensive experience with a great number of compilers and will give you suggestions online, and unbiased opinions (offline).