PDA

View Full Version : Pic Virgin

Mike40
- 22nd June 2008, 14:35
Hi

Just joined the forum and spent some time browsing the topics etc.

However 99% has just gone flying over my head, so I hope you will bear with me if I am asking questions that have been asked zillions of times before!!

Firstly I suppose I should outline the project I want to build and then questions on what I need:

I want to make a minimum 90+ step controller with viable times between the steps of between .1 secs and 90secs. programmed ia USB. I also need to step it manually via a button and stop and restart it once programmed.

I have no idea what PIC to use or how to even start the project?

Can someone recommend a Programmers Kit suitable for a complete novice to learn on but would be able to do the above project once I've learned the basics.

Used to be able to do simple programming in Basic and C about 25 years ago but old age has dimmed my memories!!!

if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.....

skimask
- 23rd June 2008, 04:57
www.microchip.com - (buy)PICKIT2 Debug Express
www.microchip.com - (download)MPLAB IDE 8.00 (or whatever is the newest)

www.melabs.com - (buy)PicBasicPro Compiler

www.mecanique.co.uk - (download)Microcode Studio (or buy the full version)

www.your_favorite_electronics_outlet.com - PIC18F4550, USB capable chip.

Along with a few downloads from here, a bunch of research and a fairly steep learning curve, shouldn't take too long and shouldn't be too painful.

The amount of pain you'll incur (both on yourself and others) in the process of building this project is equally and inversely proportional to the amount of research and searching you do, whether it be here or using Google (or whatever).