PDA

View Full Version : Programmer question

Sam
- 12th June 2008, 15:50
Hi,

I've been using the Epic for quite a while now but it's been giving me troubles and I have to keep trying several times to program PICs before it's successful. And I'd like to use my newer laptop that has USB ports only.

I know about the U2 but I'm considering the K149 from ebay.

My question(s): does the K149 work with Microcode studio ?
And is this a good USB programmer ?

Thanks for any advice,

Sam

skimask
- 12th June 2008, 16:06
Hi,
I've been using the Epic for quite a while now but it's been giving me troubles and I have to keep trying several times to program PICs before it's successful. And I'd like to use my newer laptop that has USB ports only.
Thanks for any advice,
Sam

www.microchip.com
PICKIT2 Debug Express - $40-$50 depending on where you get it from.
IMO - best thing out there...and it does quite a bit more than program (limited function logic analyzer, serial ports, etc.). Check the spec's. You'll probably like it.

mister_e
- 12th June 2008, 16:22
As usual, I'll second the PICKIT 2 idea. It's made by Microchip and offer a better function set.

Made by Microchip also mean it ensure a better lifetime support, it's software always improving and growing. It also support bunch of EEPROM and their new 1 wire EEPROM.

Only for the nifty logic analyzer, it make it attractive.

With the command line utility, you can easily integrate it in MicroCode Studio OR use the standalone application and use the Auto Import Hex + Write Device option. So every time you hit compile, it will also automatically program your PIC.

AND it's also a really cheap Programmer On the Go.

Have a look at PICKIT 2 page for all details. You can buy it as a kit or only the programmer. Those kit have some nifty development board.

Sam
- 13th June 2008, 16:11
Okay, Thank you both for your replies and suggestions.

Sam

tenaja
- 13th June 2008, 17:17
Hi,

Thanks for any advice,

Sam
I have both of the programmers you mention. I am now using the MELabs serial programmer (connected to a USB/Serial converter), and have no problems. In the past when I had an issue with my Epic, I called MELabs, and they made a suggestion that significantly improved programming success. It's been several years, but I don't remember what worked.

Any programmer will work with MCS.
No programmer works as well or as fast as a bootloader.
The K149 was no better or no worse than the MELabs programmers.