PDA

View Full Version : Really simple question for you experts :)

lew247
- 3rd June 2008, 13:33
This is going to seem so simple that most of you will possibly flame me down but...

I've got an ICD2 programmer and am making a circuit board up with a 16F877A (first time making a board and not programming a chip in a developement board)
from what I've discovered so far the pins on the ICD2 are
1 VPP
2 VDD
3 GND
4 PGD
5 PGC

Could someone be so kind as to tell me what pins they go to on the pic please, and yes I HAVE looked at the pdf file for the pic but its confusing as most pins have multip in/outs

The good news is once I've found out i'll never need to ask again :)

From what I can see by reading the specs of the chip is
vdd is pins 11/32
vpp pin 1 (should I pull this high permanantly as I wont be using the reset function at all?) Also would it be best to connect this to pins 11/32? or would this affect anything?
PGD is pin 40,
PGC is pin 39 ( If I wanted to use either of these two pins as inputs or outputs is there any special config bits I need? or would it be best/simpler to just use them for one thing until I know my way round a PIC better?
Ground would I just connect this to VSS (pins 12/31)

Whats pin 36 PGM? would using this pin to drive an lcd display (along with the other bits(lines) on PORTB make any difference and would I need to config anything for this pin?
Sorry for asking what to you must seem a really stupid question(s) but I have looked and I cant find a definitive answer anywhere as most circuits I've seen are usually using a proper programmer you pop the chip into

skimask
- 3rd June 2008, 13:52

lew247
- 3rd June 2008, 14:04
Hmm so it's back to the manual again! (all 112 pages)
The reason I asked what to everyone here was a really simple question is it's easier to digest something from being told it than reading hundreds of pages of info and trying to pick out the couple of words you actually want, and then when you found what you want you get way too much info you dont actually need so you lose it or forget or misunderstand the meanings
All I wanted to know was what pins to connect the ICD2 to and do I connect them directly to the pins or through pullup/down resistors etc

lew247
- 3rd June 2008, 15:15
Never mind, i worked it out
I THINK... tough if I got it wrong I'll just give up and bin the whole pic chip thing.
although if someone had actually answered instead of suggesting things I've already tried it would have been nice. I dont post questions unless I've already looked for the answer!

skimask
- 3rd June 2008, 15:26
I know that, I've been following along with the posts...
But...by digesting those 100's of pages, you'll end up ingesting 100 answers that you don't know that you need, but will eventually.
I never said you were lazy ('cause there are certainly those types around here, gimme this gimme that).
I'll help you out a bit more...

BobK
- 4th June 2008, 01:43
Hi Lew,

Do a search for "In Circuit Serial Programming". The pinouts you have listed are what are connected to the pic to program it using the ICSP programming method. In Circuit Debuggers also uses these pins. Microchip also has a appnote on how to use ICSP. There's no need to have the full scope of this method repeated as it has been covered many times here.

HTH,

BobK