PDA

View Full Version : ICSP with EPIC

dragons_fire
- 18th May 2008, 03:36
i have an EPIC plus programmer that i use for ICSP. after i program, i need to disconnect the lines and then restart my board. is there something i can do so i can leave the programmer plugged in, so all i need to do is restart the board? or is there a way to make it automatically restart so i can program and have it run without disconnecting anything or cycling the power?

skimask
- 18th May 2008, 05:13
Check the manual for the PICKIT2 (or most other programmers for that matter).
You'll see that they show you how to hook up your programmer so you can leave it connected while doing a 'test run' on your circuit.

mister_e
- 19th May 2008, 16:56
You could still add a switch on the MCLR line... or a automated switcher... which will require some PC programming & interfacing.

Tons of solutions here, depending how much time you want to spend on ;)

dragons_fire
- 21st May 2008, 03:45
i looked at the PICkit manual, and all i saw was that they had the PGC and PGD lines isolated from the rest of the circuit with resistors. and the MCLR line has a diode on it to stop the high voltage from going into the rest of the circuit.

in my circuit, the PGM, PGC, and PGD lines arent used for anything but programming.

skimask
- 21st May 2008, 15:17
i looked at the PICkit manual, and all i saw was that they had the PGC and PGD lines isolated from the rest of the circuit with resistors. and the MCLR line has a diode on it to stop the high voltage from going into the rest of the circuit.

in my circuit, the PGM, PGC, and PGD lines arent used for anything but programming.

That's what I was talking about. All you should have to do is maybe add a switch for MCLR. You have to keep the diode to keep from feeding the 12v back into the 5v pullup, the resistors, I'd keep them in there so you could, in theory, use RB6/RB7 later on.

mister_e
- 21st May 2008, 21:08
Try the switch on MCLR pin. Picstart had that 'problem'. I think my BK precision had this problem too... still not sure since i've made that automatic switcher interface...

skimask
- 21st May 2008, 21:21
not sure since i've made that automatic switcher interface
Got my own automatic switcher interface...called a PICKIT2... :)

mister_e
- 21st May 2008, 21:26
I agree, but in some circumstance it still load the pin a little bit.. enough to screw few things... on really specific things and design though. Good enough on 90% cases.. at least mine :D