PDA

View Full Version : MicroCode Studio VS Mplab

tonyfelloni
- 17th May 2008, 16:36
Basically, which it better?

I currently use Microcode and find it ok but would like the opinion of someone more experienced so that I dont have to chop and change later down the road (we are creatures of habit after all!)

This microcontroller\programming lark is a mine field at the start!

Tony

skimask
- 17th May 2008, 16:41
I currently use Microcode and find it ok but would like the opinion of someone more experienced so that I dont have to chop and change later down the road (we are creatures of habit after all!)
This microcontroller\programming lark is a mine field at the start!
MCS is good...very good. 'Connects' to PBP, starts/runs the compiler, assembler, handles files, highlights PBP keywords and/or errors...and so on and so on...

MPLAB is also good. But it's more like a souped up version of Notepad when compared to MCS.

I wouldn't worry about it. Go with MCS for now. If MCS ever falls out of favor, it wouldn't take hardly any 'relearning' to go with something else since MCS uses practically all of the usual Windows commands (Ctrl-C = copy, Ctrl-V = paste, and so on).

And it works in Linux under Wine :)

tenaja
- 17th May 2008, 16:43
You understand those are two different IDE's, right? One was designed for PBP Basic, and the other for assembly. I would suggest using the IDE which matches the language you write in.

FWIW, I do have MCS+, and it's a worthwhile upgrade.

skimask
- 17th May 2008, 16:51
You understand those are two different IDE's, right? One was designed for PBP Basic, and the other for assembly. I would suggest using the IDE which matches the language you write in.
That's why I saw MPLAB is more like a souped up version of Notepad. It's not PBP 'specific' and isn't much more useful than Notepad.
MPLAB - 0
MCS - 2

mackrackit
- 17th May 2008, 17:58
If the OP is talking about MCS+ them I would agree, maybe, that MCS+ is the way to go.
If it is about a comparison between MCS that is shipped with PBP and MPLAB then MPLAB win.

MPLAB works very well with PBP, does all the highlighting of code and such. It also has the features of MCS+ , reads registers, EEPROM, config bits, disassembly listing, and maybe more.

MPLAB works under wine on a Linux box also.

I have to admit, I do not have MCS+, I am going by what is on the web site for it. I will not be upgrading to it as long as MPLAB does what it does and continues to be FREE. Yes I am cheap.

The people that make PBP has provided a way to make their product work with MPLAB, so I figure that is good enough. You still need MPASM for a lot of things. (part of MPLAB)

So why go with a third party program.

MPLAB is designed to work with PICs. The language it uses is selectable.

Thats my 2.5 cents worth.:D

Bruce
- 17th May 2008, 19:38
In my opinion, MPLAB wins hands-down.

tonyfelloni
- 18th May 2008, 14:30
lol, see what I mean about it being a mine field for beginners... so many options and so many viewpoints.

It all helps though!

I'm currently trashing out the details of my final college project next year. It's basically a souped up incubator for reptiles (Kinda like pimp my incubator!) I want it to have an interface to the web so that i could go to a web address and this page would be updated with variables like the temp, humidity and possibly a still image updated once a day.

Any ideas if this side of things would be difficult to achieve? I have tonnes of time to do some research I just need to know where to start! I need to achieve all this with mostly self constructed circuits rather than pre-build modules.

Tony

mister_e
- 19th May 2008, 16:40
Not that hard if you understand the concept and how to do some web programming. Nice project... maybe a bit ambitious for a first one though. Depending how fast you catch things, how many time/hours you want to spend on, i would say it's a go... but be ready to work hard.

At least you still have ~1 year to do so :D

tonyfelloni
- 20th May 2008, 13:25
I will do a lot of research over this summer so I can be ready to start into it in september. I have just finished building a nixie clock on a breadboard and have it running perfectly multiplexing all the digits, I wrote most of the code and modified the timing element using Roman Blacks 1s timer. I think this was a good first PBP project, I learned a good deal.

I think my main issue with the incubator project will be the webpage side of things, I understand this needs to be stored on the PIC but I havent the first idea how to consturct a web page in code. I do know the data it has to display is very simple so hopefully it wont be too bad.

I just bought micro electronica's pic5 board and the ethernet controller. Do you know if practicing on the ethernet controller would be leading me in the right direction? Not sure if it si possible to simulate what I need using these tools.

Also using a mini webserver like this is it just possible to plug in into my router and away it goes without the need for a PC or laptop to be permanently on?

Elektor recently did a digibutler device for home automation which is very close to what i need.

Tony

mister_e
- 20th May 2008, 16:33
Tons of possibilities. Microchip have some framework in C to play with.

Lantronix, Charron & Rabbit's modules worth a look. Way much simple to implement and you don't need to care about the TCP/IP stack.

I also have the MikroE Ethernet board.... i just never played with it yet.

eggman
- 20th May 2008, 19:49
I just did a project with a SitePlayer module, they are very easy to use and very cheap. You can easily communicate with a PIC with the serial port.