PDA

View Full Version : hobbylab USB Oscilloscope

mbruno
- 1st May 2008, 08:06
I just ordered the Hobbylab USB scope, I need to watch the SPI and I2C signals on my new project. I was wondering if any one else is using the product and if so let me know what you think pros or cons

Mike

mister_e
- 1st May 2008, 14:42
Screen shots seems to be exactly the same as my PoScope. It's not a bad unit, BUT the software really need some tweaks. A bit hard to get familiar with, zoom option are a pain to work with.

The built-in protocol analyser seems to work properly... once you get familiar with though.

6/10 for me.

dhouston
- 1st May 2008, 15:56
The oscilloscope sample rate is too low to be very useful.

mister_e
- 1st May 2008, 18:33
True! The signal generator is handy so far. Well for something <200$ i think it's a fair one depending what you expect from.

I may believe the next PICKIT 2 software will comes with protocol analyzer and maybe a nifty scope as well... even if limited. Who knows ;)

In meantime, if you don't need the scope feature, maybe the PICKIT Serial Analyser would be an option
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en028600

I never used it myself, but for ~50$, i don't think it would be a real waste. I will order one for myself... when this will be possible...

dhouston
- 1st May 2008, 18:58
I keep a PC with ISA slots going so I can use my Protek 220 oscilloscope card. I paid about $80 for it several years back.

mbruno
- 2nd May 2008, 06:02
I have not yet received the product. I am mostly interested in monitoring the potocal signals as I have other analog scopes for other signals. I don't want to pay a lot of dollors for a digital analizer..

Mister e thanks for the tip on the pickit I have placed and order for the Analyzer I think with this product and the other items I may be able to get the results I need.

Thanks again for all inputs

mike