PDA

View Full Version : Analog to digital phone line

blue2006
- 12th April 2008, 22:40
Hi

AT the moment if my house alarm goes off, it calls my mobile using the standard analog line.I was going to switch to NTL broadband, but it seems they do not know how to connect my alarm to their line.My alarm uses the standard telephone line to call mobiles.Any way I could keep this functionality?
tks

mister_e
- 12th April 2008, 22:58
Does it allow to keep your old phone or you need to buy new ones?

If so, here i have Videotron service, and they just do a simple loop with existing telephone wires. So their Modem output goes directly to the Alarm System dialer input, and then dialer output goes to regular telephone wires.

Melanie
- 13th April 2008, 10:16
I've both BT (analogue) and NTL (digital) lines in my home. The phones are interchangeable. There is NO difference in the devices you can plug into the respective sockets. I also have Broadband on both... and can say that Digital is by far, way superior, not only in performance but also in reliability in adverse conditions (your Digital DSL modem is NOT the same as your analogue ADSL modem).

There is only ONE exception. Those are the 100% 24/7 monitored alarms (ie they are permanently connected to a remote monitoring station) and because they are permanently connected, the remote station detects when someone has cut the phone lines to your house. You would need to speak to your monitoring company provider about the change.

sphinxifm
- 13th April 2008, 12:02
if you measure with a volt meter the lines you will notice that bt runs at 50 volts on hook and ntl works at 40 volts on hook. this voltage sometimes stops automatic dialers from connecting and the resistor value connected to the opto isolator that makes the line go off hook will require changing.

blue2006
- 13th April 2008, 14:13
I was told that If the alarm is connected to the analog line, and I connect it to the digital ( NTL ) it wouldn't work, as it needs analog, I not an expert, so I believed it (: So you reckon that shouldn't be any problems if I connect the alarm ( astec 63dv ) to ntl line? I mean it should be able to call mobiles??
thanks