PDA

View Full Version : Protect eeprom during programming

Wilbert Ingels
- 10th April 2008, 15:32
Good evening all,

I'm using several 16F886 in a RS485 network. Every PIC will keep indivual information in his data eeprom (like device ID etc). This information must be kept, also when a firmware upgrade is performed.

When programming the PIC with the new firmware, the Eeprom of the PIC is also erased. I tried to set individual fuses (CPD bit) however with no results, the eeprom is always erased.

Has anyone an idea how this can be solved?

Many thanks for your help

Wilbert

PS: i'm using xwisp2w programming software and the wisp programmer

duncan303
- 10th April 2008, 15:51
Has anyone an idea how this can be solved?

you could ask Wouter van Ooijen himself.:) to introduce more commands than bulk erase.

you could consider purchasing a programmer that will allow you do you what you want:)

Curious... Do you use PIC Basic?

regards

Duncan

Wilbert Ingels
- 10th April 2008, 17:16
Thanks for your reply !

I'm using Pic Basic Pro 2.5

I've already contacted Wouter a few days ago, it's not included for the moment and it could take months before he has the time to do it.

Which programmer should i use that allows this feature?

Thanks

Wilbert

duncan303
- 10th April 2008, 17:29
Hi Wilbert

Welcome to the forum :),

there are several progammers, may I ask which IDE you use Mplab,Microcode studio etc it may help a little.

I am shooting away right now, but am sure others can help out with this one

regards

Duncan

Wilbert Ingels
- 10th April 2008, 18:08
Thanks for welcoming me :)

I'm using Microcode Studio in combination with MPLAB. I would like to find a good in circuit programmer.

Many thanks for your help, this is really appreciated !

Wilbert

mackrackit
- 10th April 2008, 18:26
In MPLAB click programmer in the tool bar. Then click settings. There you will find the place to not erase the EEPROM.

ISCP = PICKIT2 from MICROCHIP.
Also has a way not to erase the EEPROM during programming.

Wilbert Ingels
- 10th April 2008, 18:52
Thanks Dave !

I just looked online and the Pickit2 seems to me a good solution. I will buy one.

Best regards

Wilbert

mister_e
- 10th April 2008, 19:03
It is a good solution. It's also a InCircuitDebugger, EEPROM programmer, and the standalone PC software also give you a free SerialCommunication terminal. No need Max232. Can be integrated in MicroCodeStudio programmer list as well.