View Full Version : LED Touch Sensor

ngeronikolos
- 2nd April 2008, 21:56
Hello to every crazy picbasic brain...

Searching to the net I find that interesting project <<LED Touch Sensor>>
http://web.ndak.net/jdgrotte/
LOOK the video at the bottom of the page
But I did not find any diagram.

Does anyone of you do something like that????
Can I use it to recognize the level of a liguid??

Regards
Nikos

mister_e
- 2nd April 2008, 22:02
The : Guy : on : this : website : says

As soon as I get some more ambition, I'll post a quick schematic of how this is all hooked up, but rest assured, it's all very simple:

All LED anodes to one pin (TTL input type, NOT Schmidt trigger)

All LED cathodes to a schmidt trigger I/O port (i.e. on a PIC18F4620, PortD, PortC, some of PortA, etc.)

you can also try to follow the wires on his protoboard :D

BobP
- 2nd April 2008, 23:07
Hi,

Tried this and like you see in the video it works. BUT I found it to be very sensitive to light. What works in near dark won't work so well in bright light. Never tried it in sunlight!

Just connected the LED's directly across the port pins and used the authors description to drive them.

Bob

skimask
- 3rd April 2008, 01:15
The : Guy : on : this : website : says
you can also try to follow the wires on his protoboard :D

:D
Yea, I never did get around to the schematic. Like 99% of the rest of the internet, dead ends, dead links, dead projects...
But, I think I did explain the project relatively well, at least to the person who can understand that sort of thing just by reading words.

Tried this and like you see in the video it works. BUT I found it to be very sensitive to light. What works in near dark won't work so well in bright light. Never tried it in sunlight!
I only tried it inside, under inc. light and flour. lights, in fact directly under a couple of those cheap double-15 watt tubes. Worked well enough for me. And if I remember right, I had to use IR LEDs. The cheap red LEDs I had barely worked at all unless it was completely dark. Probably has something to do with how clear the lens is in the first place.