PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical question

selbstdual
- 7th February 2008, 09:26
Dear readers,

The attached assembly is given. Both barrels are fixed on a metal plate via rolling bearings. Distance center of barrel to plate is 5cm(1.97 inches). My aim is to always pull the big object(consisting of noble steel, 1mm) on both barrels via the other elements, two strong magnets so the barrels always are in contact with the big object. It seems that the Magnets must be on the line being formed by all points which distance from the point of contact of the form and each barrel equals.

How and where could I mount the magnets so this condition is met?

Regards

selbstdual

PS: On the last picture the magnets are not in the right position but I wasn't able to change their position. If there are problems in understanding, please tell.

selbstdual
- 7th February 2008, 17:29
So where is the right board for this question?

Luciano
- 7th February 2008, 18:12
Hire a plumber to fix your bathtub! :D

selbstdual
- 7th February 2008, 19:30
Hire a plumber to fix your bathtub! :D
Is this a joke and meant to be funny?

skimask
- 7th February 2008, 19:39
Is this a joke and meant to be funny?

He's merely stating the obvious...and exactly what I'd do in a situation like this.
Although, I believe I would also hire a highly qualified audible verbal sanitation engineer.

Ron Marcus
- 7th February 2008, 19:41
I can't make heads or tails of the pics, and while I too would like to make a humorous remark,I will refrain and ask what this is and what is it supposed to do?

duncan303
- 7th February 2008, 22:30
Hi selbstdual

If there are problems in understanding, please tell.

I have just spent at least 10minutes trying to understand what on earth you are trying to describe. No JOKE.
I don’t know about “living in a world of electrons” it's certainly not with the electrons I am familiar with!!! JOKE

I am guessing you are German, I am really hoping you have used an auto-translator, because I have to tell you IT DOES NOT WORK. You have a group of words that look as if they make a sentence but it is truly non-sense

First sentence:

The attached assembly is given.
not too bad I got that
second sentence

Both barrels are fixed on a metal plate via rolling bearings.
I begin to struggle now, it that thing a barrel? If so where is the other one that it is supposed to be having a strange attractive relationship with. Oh yeah on this non-existent metal plate, whats all that about?. I guess I can spot a couple of sealed bearings or is it roller bearings, but then you go and stick them on the side!!!!!
You then proceed to introduce “the big object” that the barrels bash against?? and that last sentence is a total killer!!!!!
Now you have really lost me……………. Come on its you who is having a joke, and if you are serious, I think you have spent waaaay too long on this project :D

May I respectfully suggest that :
(a)you spend more time on the cad program you are using and include all of the elements you are attempting to describe and present them as you would normally find in a technical drawing.
(b) give up trying to explain in words

Then there is a very good site I would recommend you post this on, it is dedicated to CNC. They are really friendly and helpful, but I guarantee that if you send it as it is now they will struggle just as much as me.

Cheer up though… you have now had 15 precious minutes of my undivided attention focused entirely on your strange device :D

I am really intrigued as to what this thing is all about, I think once you add some electrification it is going to be truly AWESOME!

Good luck

Duncan

Luciano
- 8th February 2008, 09:09
Hi selbstdual,

Inspired by your thread PICs - Playground or 'serious' microcontroller, I will suggest
to buy yourself a rubber duck and play with it in your newly designed bathtub!

Best regards,

Luciano

Acetronics2
- 8th February 2008, 10:02
Hi, Luciano

Do you think the tip could have been placed upside down INSIDE the Helmet ???

Seriously that looks like the nth version of the " inverted pendulum" ...

BUT, you're right a plugin is highly necessary to correct what's wrong ...

Alain

skimask
- 8th February 2008, 13:32
Hi selbstdual,

Inspired by your thread PICs - Playground or 'serious' microcontroller, I will suggest
to buy yourself a rubber duck and play with it in your newly designed bathtub!

Best regards,

Luciano

Like duncan303 spent the better part of 15 minutes trying to understand the original post, I just spent the better part of 5 minutes laughing my arse off at that last comment...
Good one L ! :D

Pic_User
- 8th February 2008, 14:34
Hi selbstdual,

Carefully place the magnets where they would pull the large noble steel object into direct contact with the rotating drums (barrels).

I always say:

If you cannot hold a large object to a rotating drum any other way, then use magnets. Super glue, duct tape, bungee cord are a poor substitute..

Like my father always said:

“If you cannot hold a bath tub to a turning barrel other way, then you use magnets. Superadhesives, riser tape, spring element cord are a disappointing replacement”.

-Adam-