PDA

View Full Version : VFD pinout and connections

rshaver
- 3rd February 2008, 01:35
Hi

I have purchased a couple of VFD's off ebay. They are IEE 36333-73C's. They have a 14 pin connector and I have figured out the power connectors and can get them to do a self test but does anyone know how to connect them to a pic?

Thanks
Ron

Charles Linquis
- 3rd February 2008, 03:11
I have used Noritake VFDs. I drive them just like LCD displays.
The ones I use have a 14 pin interface.

You may have to adjust the timing, however. Start long and
shorten the time up until it doesn't work - then lenghthen the times
by 30% or so.

I would start with.

DEFINE LCD_COMMANDUS 3500 ; This is a WORD variable
DEFINE LCD_DATAUS 200 ; This is a byte variable

If they work the same as what I have used, you can adjust the brightness
by writing a number into location 0x20 (LCDOUT $FE,$20,brightnessvalue)
where "brightnessvalue" is 0 for brightest and 3 for dimmest.

rshaver
- 3rd February 2008, 16:27
Thank you. I have the pinout can you or someone tell me the lcd equilavant for the following. Busy, Write Strobe, and Reset.

Thanks again
Ron

skimask
- 3rd February 2008, 21:11
Thank you. I have the pinout can you or someone tell me the lcd equilavant for the following. Busy, Write Strobe, and Reset.

Thanks again
Ron

Normal parallel LCDs (44780 compatible types, the types that are compatible with PBP) don't normally have a BUSY or a RESET pin.
Sounds like it's time for you to write your own routines....either that or send them back.

Dave
- 4th February 2008, 11:47
rshaver, I have used Noritake Itron 128x64 VFD graphical modules in the past. They have a RESET input as well as a BUSY output. I just reset the module before initialization and watch the busy line for the module to complete the command when entered. I have written my own character lookup table and output routine for these displays. Because of the timing and watching the busy output for the display to complete the command I have written my own output routines as well. I could not use LCDOUT, although I tryed........

Dave Purola,
N8NTA

rshaver
- 4th February 2008, 16:44
Thanks all. I did get it to display garbage but that is all. I guess I will set them on the shelf for later use. They were not that much so it is no problem. I'll get some that will replace the lcd's. I am going to use them in my truck and am kind of in a time crunch. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Ron

hell_pk
- 25th October 2010, 05:51
Dear All,
I have Noritake Itron 128x64 VFD (GU128*64D-K610A8) display.I want to use it is Async serial mode.I am struggling to display something on it.I am trying to send data using Hserout with defaults(19200baud,no parity etc).All that i get is random chars.
Any code help would be appreciated.

ScaleRobotics
- 25th October 2010, 06:48
I have Noritake Itron 128x64 VFD (GU128*64D-K610A8) display.I want to use it is Async serial mode.I am struggling to display something on it.I am trying to send data using Hserout with defaults(19200baud,no parity etc).All that i get is random chars

It is most likely a baud setting issue. What chip are you using, and what speed? This tool helps, if you are not using it already: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/content.php?r=159-New-PIC-Utility.-PICMultiCalc

hell_pk
- 26th October 2010, 05:48
You were right,settings were incorrect.Its working now.