PDA

View Full Version : epic programmer not found ---HELP!

dmacq
- 1st February 2008, 17:18
Hi Everyone,

I purchased an EPIC programmer some time ago and finally got around to try to program today.
But I'm stuck at the "Epic programmer not found" message.

I don't think it can be the cable. The LED remains lit until I actually try to program the 16f876.
I've removed my HP printer driver and set the parallel port to ECP in bios.( as instructed by MELabs)
I've installed a Generic printer driver and set it to default.

And yet, and yet. It can't find the EPIC programmer.
I've rebooted until my thumb is raw.
I was really hoping to start making dream machines today. And suggestions?

Cheers
MacQ

mvs_sarma
- 1st February 2008, 18:06
Hi Everyone,

I purchased an EPIC programmer some time ago and finally got around to try to program today.
But I'm stuck at the "Epic programmer not found" message.

I don't think it can be the cable. The LED remains lit until I actually try to program the 16f876.
I've removed my HP printer driver and set the parallel port to ECP in bios.( as instructed by MELabs)
I've installed a Generic printer driver and set it to default.

And yet, and yet. It can't find the EPIC programmer.
I've rebooted until my thumb is raw.
I was really hoping to start making dream machines today. And suggestions?

Cheers
MacQ
The thumb need not be raw. Perhaps after you deleted the printer, Then try to delete the epic driver also.
you may have to manage to see that the registry entries pertaining to printer and epic programmer driver are cleaned, and then reboot and the install the driver for epic programmer and try first. you may install the printer later. perhaps this might work.

dragons_fire
- 1st February 2008, 19:18
check your power supply too... i think they say12v 1A

mister_e
- 1st February 2008, 19:25
Maybe the XP polling patch will help?
http://www.melabs.com/support/patches.htm#xppolling

ardhuru
- 2nd February 2008, 04:53
Or, switch over to Winpic800; it supports the EPIC hardware (ETT PIC V3-V4 or GTP-07 options), and is IMHO a far better utility. Also lets you completely configure parameters, including the port settings.

Regards,

Anand

mvs_sarma
- 2nd February 2008, 05:08
Or, switch over to Winpic800; it supports the EPIC hardware (ETT PIC V3-V4 or GTP-07 options), and is IMHO a far better utility. Also lets you completely configure parameters, including the port settings.

Regards,

Anand
I fear , we will be piling up programmer cards in the home / office, if we go on purchasing, the moment one doesn't work. Unless one is a serious professional programmer and his work suffers losses due to just a programmer, any one can scratch his head and look back at the programmer hardware or driver, we can settle things in a short time. added, we gain experience of servicing hardware.

Most common faults can be attributed to loose connections or power supply related. of course, the interconnecting cable should be below the critical length as it creates lot of confusions and we may wrongly interpret as hardware fault.

ardhuru
- 2nd February 2008, 11:44
No, you have misunderstood my suggestion. Winpic 800 is a piece of *software* that works with a variety of programmers, including the EPIC and its clones.

An additional benefit is that one can individually test the Vpp, clock and data lines under Winpic800 (as also with some others).

And its free.

Regards,

Anand

BobK
- 2nd February 2008, 12:41
Hello dmacq,

Did you make sure your programming software knows where to look for the programmer and what type of programmer you are using. You haven't mentioned anything about the software you are using so we can only grasp at straws. As Mr E said, MELabs has a patch for using their parrallel programmer with windows XP and you shouldn't have to remove your printer driver. I have 2 different HP printers on my system and both my USB and parrallel programmers work fine. If you are using Micro Code Studio you have to select which programmer you are using.

HTH,

BobK

mvs_sarma
- 2nd February 2008, 16:37
No, you have misunderstood my suggestion. Winpic 800 is a piece of *software* that works with a variety of programmers, including the EPIC and its clones.

An additional benefit is that one can individually test the Vpp, clock and data lines under Winpic800 (as also with some others).

And its free.

Regards,

Anand

It appears, yes, my reply was not apt. sorry, Anand.

dmacq
- 2nd February 2008, 18:26
Thank you all so much for helping out with this.

But clearly, I'm going to have to back up and give this thing some thought this weekend.

I'm using PicMate Pro and thought it would be just plug and play, but its led me through some strange error messages, finally arriving at "epic programer not found."

I would dearly love to reinstall my printer driver if that's possible. I will try the polling patch as a first effort.

Or should I aquire Micro Code studio?

Does Winpic800 compile and Program?

Sorry if these questions sound daft but this appears much more involved than programming my Basic Stamp2.

And I would dearly love to make this work

Cheers

MACQ

Archangel
- 2nd February 2008, 19:38
1: Or should I aquire Micro Code studio?

2: Does Winpic800 compile and Program?

3: Sorry if these questions sound daft but this appears much more involved than programming my Basic Stamp2.

And I would dearly love to make this work

Cheers

MACQ
Hi MACQ,
1: Easy to acquire, comes with P BASIC PRO
2: NO -Winpic8000 only loads your HEX file into the PIC
3: How do you do a stamp? Bootloader? You can load a bootloader into PIC and then program without using a programmer later.

HTH
JS