PDA

View Full Version : Question from New member A/D input 16f876

mbruno
- 26th January 2008, 10:25
This is my first time posting. I have been reading threads and have had most of my questions answered by doing so. I do have one question though.

My next project is to use an analog input from a accellometer and was wondering if I should just use the A/D in put on the microcontroller or use an external sigle in to serial out A/D converter such as the Texas Ins. tlc1549. I see both are 10 bit , is one more precise than the other, or just adding the external converter more trouble than it is worth.

Michael H. Bruno

tenaja
- 26th January 2008, 13:57
You will most likely be satisfied with the a/d converter built into the pic. I've been using them with great success for years on that same PIC. It is likely that your circuit design and board layout can contribute more to the a/d accuracy than the actual capabilities of the a/d. Assuming, of course, that your PIC code is written properly. Either way, you'll have to read the a/d data sheet thoroughly, so it might as well be the PIC's.

mbruno
- 26th January 2008, 14:52
Thank you very much for the reply, I was leaning toward the pic A/D, just need a little shove in the right direction. As far as code goes things are still in the planning stages, I use a note book and pen to try to cover what the code needs to do and logistics of parts placement power, enviroment, etc.

thanks again for the support

Michael H. Bruno