PDA

View Full Version : HSEROUT pin use

jmgelba
- 14th December 2007, 04:02
Can I bit bash a handshake out of the HSEROUT pin then start serial comms with the same pin after the handshake?
I thought I read somewhere that once a HSER command or define was in the program, the HSER pins where only accessable to the UART. Is this correct?

mister_e
- 14th December 2007, 04:14
HSERIN/HSEROUT use the according TX/RX pins, there's no way to swap to other pins unless you open the pic and modify it yourself :D

But some PIC, don't remind wich... maybe 16F690, allow to use only TX pin, leaving RX as a standard i/o... or i mixed up things use RX but leave TX as standard.. the usual 'datasheet' will tell ;)

jmgelba
- 14th December 2007, 15:24
If I read your post correctly, I think you slightly missunderstood what I'm trying to do. I need to use the RX TX pins associated with HSERIN/HSEROUT for another use BEFORE I use them as a serial port. I need to send out a simple series of long pulses through the TX pin to handshake with the host before I switch to 14400 baud serial communications.

I understand about reading the datasheet, however I havent choosen a PIC yet as this is in the early stages of quoting the project and seeing if the customers project is even possible with their budget and pcb size requirements. chances are though, I'll try and get this thing working on a 18F1320 as I have THOUSANDS of them left over from a non paying customer.

Bruce
- 14th December 2007, 16:47
You can use these pins just like any other I/O-pins. Just disable the UART, do what you need to do, then enable the UART again when you need it.

mister_e
- 14th December 2007, 16:57
well yes... i really misunderstood... :(

have THOUSANDS of them left over from a non paying customer.
:eek: it sucks

jmgelba
- 14th December 2007, 19:15
So how do I enable and disable at will? Do I assign a VAR BIT for the usart and toggle it as required?

Mister E, that non paying customer virtually destroyed my business forcing me to take a job and not spend much time selling circuit boards. This is why I havent been in the forum recently. Fortunatly, things are better and I am able to spend time rebuilding the business, and spend some time with my 5 week old son.
I dont program much, except for simple projects and my own personal creations and experiments. I spend my time doing pcb layout, and board assembly, either building using customer supplied parts, or in the case of the non paying customer, buying parts myself and charging for a completed assembly. At my busiest I was producing around 750 boards a week. Now I am lucky to produce 75 a month.

b1arrk5
- 14th December 2007, 19:59
James,

Congratulations on the baby! I wondered what had happened to you. I hope this next year is a better one for you.

Jerry.

jmgelba
- 14th December 2007, 20:37
Hi Jerry!
I thought I had emailed you explaining everything to you? Perhaps now I know why there was no reply from you! :)

I assume your project was taken care of by someone else? Same rates apply!!

Take care.

James.

mister_e
- 14th December 2007, 21:19
James,
have a look to RCSTA register, SPEN bit.

Congrats for your brand new kid :D

Mister E, that non paying customer virtually destroyed my business forcing me to take a job and not spend much time selling circuit boards.

You can't imagine how much i'm with you and how much i understand that my friend... kinda stuff i don't want to say in public...

Dave
- 15th December 2007, 14:02
jmgelba, Hey James, you never did pay me the $200 for the Boost Pressure Gage code I wrote for you.....

Dave Purola,
N8NTA

jmgelba
- 15th December 2007, 19:35
PM me your details Dave.

Just dug that up from the depths.... seems it was never completed.
Pm me your address and I'll send you a check.

jmgelba
- 15th December 2007, 20:44
Dave,
I want to offer you a public appology. I was waiting on you to send me the .bas but I've just read through our correspondance and it appears you were waiting on me to send payment at which you would release the .bas.
I thought you had bigger fish to fry and had forgotten all about my project. I never continued with the project as I had an accident and totalled the car the project was for.
So, I applogise and wish to resolve this asap.

Regards,
James.

mister_e
- 16th December 2007, 09:51
My personal opinion of that is that everything should have been discussed on your respective PM boxes rather than in public... hope Admin/Asst Admin might delete this post...