PDA

View Full Version : Do you use ICD possibilities of MicroCode Studio

octal
- 6th December 2007, 09:10
Just wonder how many of you are using the ICD Possibilities of MicroCode Studio.

If you do not use MicroCode Studio, or not use its ICD possibilities, can you comment your answer please?

Regards
octal

octal
- 14th December 2007, 15:49
Very quite answers. Seems that users are quite busy :)

Bruce
- 14th December 2007, 17:04
Hi Octal,

I don't use any type ICD with BASIC firmware. I have an ICD2 that I rarely use either. I prefer to build the circuit, and test my firmware in real-time in the actual working circuit, running at full speed.

I will sometimes use MPSIM if I have tight timing requirements, and I need to know precisely how many instruction cycles a BASIC command uses, but I very rarely have a need for in-circuit debug. If I do, I will normally opt for ICD2. I also prefer the MPASM IDE VS MCS+.

markk5xh
- 14th December 2007, 17:15
I have tried to use the ICD in the past but never had much luck. I could get it to work on simple programs like the blinky light. When I tried it on a real program it would lock up after a few instructions. I posted a similar question some time back and did not get much of a response. From my limited experience, I would have to say that it is not worth using except on very simple stuff.
73s de Mark

mister_e
- 14th December 2007, 17:22
For learning purpose, i may feel it's handy.. but i also prefer to run everything in real environment, and send some data via LCD or RS232. MPSIM could be used sometimes, ok it's not real-time, but give some nice idea/pointers.