PDA

View Full Version : Digital Power Supply

tump
- 2nd December 2007, 00:10
I came across this link to a controlled power supply.
http://www.tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200707/bench-power-supply-unit.shtml
Two Problems
1. Done with AVR
2. Done in C

I am guessing that this would be possible with a PIC and PicBasic Pro. Has anyone attempted something like this, or maybe even built one??

I figure it is a neat and useful learning step.
Figured that with the holidays coming I may have some extra time on my hands to tinker a bit.

Acetronics2
- 2nd December 2007, 10:27
Hi,

I do not remember which was the language used ...

but have a look here ... :

http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2001/december/digital-bechtop-power-supply-(2).54867.lynkx

there are 3 parts to download ...

Alain

PS: PIC-BASIC Written ( I thought it was a Basic ! ) ... but that's an excellent exercise to translate it into PbP ...

T.Jackson
- 2nd December 2007, 11:49
Neat!...

I did something like that a few years back. The heart of the project was a 16f628a @4MHz, using PWM to produce a variable Vref across an RC circuit which in turn controlled the output of a LM317 variable voltage regulator. There was a few other bits & pieces in between, not much - mainly just an OP amp to relieve the RC circuit from loading down (buffer), and at the same time giving the circuit some hardware calibration ability.

I had some nice features like; presets, dual tracking - (yup plus & minus rails 0-30 VDC), PC interface via serial comms, but unfortunately no provision for controlled or metering current. All told, I put a lot of bloody effort into it, submitted it for publication and got shot down in flames with it :(

Acetronics2
- 2nd December 2007, 13:21
Neat!...

submitted it for publication and got shot down in flames with it :(

Hi, Trent

When publishing, one must never forget one thing :

The design also must be idiotsproof ... LOL !

From the g'd old times I wrote small professionnal softs ... I've kept in mind there's roughly 10 times more lines for "idiotproofing" than for real working !!!
Same ratio for components sizing and circuit protections ...

Best regards
Alain

tump
- 2nd December 2007, 17:10
Trent
I am really hoping that you will be willing to share what you made, I promise I will not shoot you down in flames!!!!

It sounds alot like what I want to make, at least for once I will have a head start on one of my projects.

T.Jackson
- 3rd December 2007, 00:14
When publishing, one must never forget one thing :

The design also must be idiotsproof ... LOL !

Alain,

Thing is, I had no problem using it, so it must have been exactly just that - "idiot proof"

T.Jackson
- 3rd December 2007, 00:27
Trent
I am really hoping that you will be willing to share what you made, I promise I will not shoot you down in flames!!!!

It sounds alot like what I want to make, at least for once I will have a head start on one of my projects.

It got trashed / recycled. I'll see if I can upload the schematic when I get a chance, assuming I still have it somewhere that is. The approach of using PWM over a DAC I found to be just as good in terms of performance, with the obvious upside of being far electrically simpler, cheaper, space conservative, requiring only 1 pin.

Acetronics2
- 3rd December 2007, 10:37
Alain,

Thing is, I had no problem using it, so it must have been exactly just that - "idiot proof"

Hi, Trent

YOU know your "baby" and how to use it ... YOU build it with the habits you have ... YOU explain it the way you feel it ...

But others have different habits and feel things another way ...

When you write "push the button' i.e. .... 50% might push the red one and 50% the green one ...

That's it !!! we must accept it if share willing ...

Hold on, humanity is supposed to become more and more intelligent !!! ... LOL

Alain

T.Jackson
- 3rd December 2007, 12:43
Simplicity is the key I say. Simplicity costs less. Simplicity is easier to repair. Something simplistic that does the job, and does it well is usually better greeted by most people who'd rather spend their time doing something else rather than pursuing a science degree for operating a TV remote (99.9% of people). But most importantly; simplicity sells! - especially when simplicity has the same virtue as "complex"

Acetronics2
- 3rd December 2007, 13:04
Hi, Trent

Here are the two ways to explain the same things ... LOL !!!

But some people also like to buy technology ... just for the show ... Simplicity must only be for use !!! ( Degree required for TV showmen ??? NO ... )

Remember the magic words for home appliance 10 years ago ??? ... " Microprocessor inside " ...
Was the add for one of our Huge brands ... Thomson's " chip inside "

Alain

T.Jackson
- 3rd December 2007, 13:11
Oh I couldn't agree anymore - your typical yuppie rich man wants to pimp out his house full of technology to show off to people whilst entertaining them on weekends. But your average person who has much less time on their hands is far from dreaming of a complex Marantz remote with 1024 back-lit buttons.