PDA

View Full Version : more than one picbasic?

robertc
- 29th November 2007, 23:36
Hi all, am I correct in assuming there is more than one compiler using the name picbasic?
If so ,are these compatible in any way, i.e. can code published for one be used on another? I have downloaded the free version of picbasic pro and am currently trialling it prior to making a decision to purchase the full version. I seem to be able to understand and use it, so it must be good!
regards
Bob

tenaja
- 30th November 2007, 00:37
Hi all, am I correct in assuming there is more than one compiler using the name picbasic?
If so ,are these compatible in any way, i.e. can code published for one be used on another? I have downloaded the free version of picbasic pro and am currently trialling it prior to making a decision to purchase the full version. I seem to be able to understand and use it, so it must be good!
regards
Bob
Not really; there is only this one by MELabs. Some have confused the distributor in the UK as selling another, but it's this one. (That same distributor also sells their own compiler, but it is named Proton.)

PicBasic Pro (PBP) is, for the most part, compatible with Basic Stamp 2's.

Proton is almost fully backwards-compatible with PBP, with minor exceptions. Proton has many more commands, however, and an extended command set that allows a smaller code. (i.e. it allows settings to be fixed to reduce code size, with the option to make the settings variable.)

I have PBP and Proton. I use Proton a lot, but I have personally found three bugs in it. It does, compiler the code MUCH smaller, though, and so it executes a lot faster.

For slow-speed applications, or where maximum speed is not necessary, I'd use PBP. (Once when I ran out of space on my PIC, I switched to Proton, and had to change code for a few days, mostly due to the bug in that one PIC--BUT--PBP had the SAME BUG, so you can't totally favor either compiler on that one.)

BobK
- 30th November 2007, 00:50
Hi Bob,

Yes there are numerous variants of the Basic language. Several of them are the Parallax version of PicBasic used on their Basic Stamp family. There's the ME Labs PicBasic and PicBasic Pro compilers that we talk about here on this forum. Protron has their version of PicBasic and there's a MBasic and it goes on and on. One of the early PIC books I bought even has a LET Basic.

I started out using the Parallax Pic Basic and moved up to ME Labs PicBasic which is the complier used that is similar to Parallax's Basic Stamp 1 and PicBasicPro is the advanced complier comparable to the Basic Stamp 2.

I guess it would depend on what it is exactly you want to do. If you are looking for a quick project for yourself, then perhaps the MELabs PicBasic is what to use. If you are serious about making many projects then perhaps the PICBasic Pro compiler if for you. The Pro version has more capability that the Basic version. As you can see for yourself, we have forums for each of the compilers that MELabs produces.

Spend some time reading through each of the forums looking at what members are doing with each of the programs then decide for yourself based on what you want to do and what type of budget you have. You will need a compiler and a programmer. Some people make their own programmers and download the software to make it work. This experience will take more time to get you up an running and I feel that the time you put into building an unsupported device will show you it will probably be a more wise decision just to go and buy a ME Labs programmer with good tech support.

Alot of people started by using Basic Stamps. They a very simple to use. You buy a prototype board and a programming cable, download their software, write your program, program the stamp and away you go. I needed a project done in less than a month back in 2002. With the Basic Stamp 2, I was up and running and had a completed project in 3 weeks! And it is still out their running!

Basic Stamps are PIC chips! But they have an interpreter built into them that makes them slower than regular PICs. But the learning experience there is worth it.

Spend some time and look around here. You should also look at the offerings at www.parallax.com. Then you can make up your mind as to what direction you want to take.

We have some great contributors here such as Melanie Newman, Darrel Taylor, and Mister E, just to name a few. There alot more people all over the world that take their time to help people out with their problems as they learn how to apply their ideas to a PIC microcontroller.

Welcome aboard! If we can be of further assistance, just ask.

BobK

PS I almost forgot to mention the PICAxe family. Similar to the Basic Stamp family except they are a self contained chip. Google PicAxe to see for yourself. Also check out Nuts and Volts magazine and EPE magazine as they have various articles on Pics each month.

tenaja
- 30th November 2007, 01:31
Oops, I forgot one...

MELabs has PicBasic
and... PicBasic Pro.

PicBasic is command compatible with the first Basic Stamp, BS1. So few people use it that I totally forgot about it. I wouldn't waste my time with it unless you are totally strapped for cash, and don't think you'll do much with PIC's.

robertc
- 30th November 2007, 02:14
Thank you all, I think it was the proton version of picbasic that may have caused my confusion. While googling up using 'picbasic' as a search I may have been looking at code for that version of the language that someone had posted -it had commands I couldn't find in my picbasic pro language listing. My needs are only occassional and hobby based so PBP may well fill my needs. I have looked at the picaxe, it is a useful little device but limited in speed for one project I have in mind which is a remote control for direct wireless command control for my trains (using NMRA DCC protocol) . Others have done it, I just want to develop my own!
regards
Bob

tenaja
- 30th November 2007, 18:29
The new Proton+, which was released this morning as a Beta for licensed users, has register saving for real-time interrupts, all built in. It's a very nice feature. The PBP has a "fix" that Darrel has posted that allows similar functions.