PDA

View Full Version : Insteon Home Automation Software Development Kit

Stuartk
- 10th October 2007, 01:57
Greetings everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone has purchased an Insteon software developers kit and interfaced it to a Pic for home automation.

Insteon is the new home automation protocol that replaces X10 courtesy of Smarthome. It's much more reliable as each device has a unique address and acts as a repeater for the whole network. It transmits both wirelessly and on powerline. They say it's backwards compatible with X10.

I've soured on X10 as it has poor reliability due to interference and signal suck. This looks like an excellent replacement technology.

Here is the link for the SDK:
http://www.smarthome.com/insteon/sdk2600s.html

Here is the link for the prototyping module:
http://www.smarthome.com/insteon/hdk2610.html

Just wanted to find out if anyone has done this with PBP before I shell out $300

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

dhouston
- 10th October 2007, 03:28
The terms of the license prohibit anyone who has it from saying anything whatsoever about it.

Stuartk
- 12th October 2007, 16:54
My intention is to replace my home X10 equipment with Insteon due to reliability issues. I'm running a 1999 homebrew pic based X10 automation system which is need of upgrade. I would rather program my own home automation hardware, rather then using commercial software driven by a PC.

As a non-professional enthusiast, I wanted to find out if the Insteon SDK is useful before I spend the money on it. I also wanted to find out if the Insteon developers forum is supportive and therefore worth spending the money on joining it.

I can't imagine how discussing this violates a software license.

So, back to my original question: Has anyone purchased the SDK?

Did they find it helpful for directly connecting a pic to an insteon powerline interface?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

dhouston
- 12th October 2007, 20:58
So back to my original answer.

At the time I bought the SDK, it cost $100 and the license explicitly forbade saying anything whatsoever about the performance of the hardware or software or about the adequacy of the support. I see they have removed many of the more restrictive terms from the current license but I am still bound by the terms in effect at my time of purchase.

There are a few developers who post to the Insteon forum at http://www.techmall.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9

You might ask your question there although I believe most of them develop PC software using DLLs from Smartlabs.

dhouston
- 16th October 2007, 17:05
As a non-professional enthusiast, I wanted to find out if the Insteon SDK is useful before I spend the money on it. I also wanted to find out if the Insteon developers forum is supportive and therefore worth spending the money on joining it.

I can't imagine how discussing this violates a software license.

I guess the lack of responses could be because there are no other SDK licensees here or because of the following which comes directly from the license in effect at the time I bought the SDK.

3. CONFIDENTIALITY. The Kit and all related information are confidential
and proprietary to SMARTHOME. You agree not to disclose any information
relating to the Kit (including without limitation the results of use or
testing) to any third party without SMARTHOME's prior written permission.
Unauthorized use or disclosure of such information would cause irreparable
harm and significant injury to SMARTHOME that would be difficult to
ascertain or quantify; accordingly you agree that SMARTHOME shall have the
right to obtain injunctive or other equitable relief to enforce the terms of
this Agreement without limiting any other rights or remedies.

Stuartk
- 16th October 2007, 18:00
Although disappointed, I completely respect the limitations of the agreement that you made. You have no choice but to abide by it, and not discuss the SDK.

I consider this an unfortunate policy of Smarthome. They should be doing everything possible to popularize their protocols. This is a hot area for both software and hardware developers alike. There is much to be gained from a policy of openness. The present one stifles innovation and probably delays the popularization of Insteon.

As I'm serious about this, I will look into making the purchase of the SDK and protyping module. I can only guess at how many people have not purchased Insteon equipment for their house as the cost of entry into development is too steep for the majority of hobbyists.

Regards,

Stuart

dhouston
- 16th October 2007, 18:17
That specific language is not in the current license. The web page says the license was revised last month.

As I noted, the SDK cost $100 when I bought it and I got hardware that retailed for $90 making the SDK cost only $10. I think it was over-priced.

Mike2545
- 23rd November 2013, 17:52
I got the developers kit, the documentation is poor as it does not cover all devices and they dont explain the steps very well. But I did get a PIC to deliver messages on the insteon network... Is anyone else working on this too?