PDA

View Full Version : MPASM vs PM

Squibcakes
- 9th October 2007, 00:16
What are the advantages of using either of these compiliers over the other?

I know that 18Fxxxx need to be compiled with MPASM (microchip's assembler) but 16Fxxx etc can use either.

PM appears to be a bit quicker then MPASM, and I tend to have more bugs when I use MPASM on anything else but the 18Fxxx chips....

Any advice welcome...

Squib

mister_e
- 9th October 2007, 15:32
To be honnest i never use PM, so i don't understand when you say

I tend to have more bugs when I use MPASM on anything else but the 18Fxxx chips....

If you don't use any assembler lines/macro/feature/etc etc there's no real advantage between PM/MPASM. MPASM should compile as fast as PM, but it load that little GUI... hence why it may appear to be a bit more slow.

You can still open PM.TXT and MPASM PDF and compare both features.

PM and MPASM syntax are a bit different, so why using 2 syntax when only one is more powerfull anyway. But again, if you just use PBP syntax/command set, it doesn't make any difference... or just in the CONFIG fuse syntax... big deal.

mmm... sure i still forgot something...

Squibcakes
- 10th October 2007, 01:29
mr E,

Your probably right, it's the config fuse settings that most likely generate the errors when coding...

I'll try and use MPASM for the time being and see how that pans out.

Big deal. ;)

BTW, I downloaded your picmultical program from your revamped site (very nice). I found it very useful.

It would be nice if you could add a "copy register settings to clipboard" button for the PWM calcultor with a check box to select the appropriate prescaler option.

Cheers
Squib