PDA

View Full Version : HID serial adapter

T_J_W
- 8th August 2007, 21:39
Hi all I have a question that one of you may answer. I bought some USB to serial adapters to use on some pic projects. I'm using XP. XP sees the adapter as a human interface device. Which is fine but it does not assign a com port to the adapter. Is there a way to add a com port to a HID? Why sell a USB to serial adapter if no com port is assigned? Drivers are also installed.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

BobK
- 9th August 2007, 02:25
Hi TJW,

I have a Keyspan USB to serial adaptor and through its software it assigns itself to an unused com port. If necessary, I can change the com port number through a program called Keyspan Serial Assistant. I also have another generic brand adaptor and it attaches itself to an unused com port. I haven't been able to change the port number on these though so I change the com port through the program that I'm using these to connect to a modem for programming my alarm panels.

I have been told, though, that you cannot use these types of adaptors for programming PICs. So I invested in a USB programmer. It works fine.

HTH,

BobK

Ioannis
- 9th August 2007, 09:29
On every USB to Serial adapter I used, there was always an unused COM assigned. Check again please.

Though as Bobk stated you may not always be able to change the port. But this is not really a problem as long as you know that it was free before.

Also this COM number will be different from one PC to another for the same driver, so a PC program should be able to have a selection among many COM ports.

Ioannis

T_J_W
- 9th August 2007, 13:13
That is true. But this one shows as a HID and no com port is set. I don't know why? IT does the same thing on other computers I have. I looked on the internet but found no answers. I guess I wasted my money on these.

Tim

Ioannis
- 9th August 2007, 13:54
May be it is a problem with the setup proceedure. Others have to be connected first and then select the driver from the CD. Others need first to install the drivers and then connect the adapter leting windows install the new driver.

Try to uninstall and repeat again, reading first the Manual.

Ioannis