PDA

View Full Version : PIC RS-232 to control Access database?

Angus Anderson
- 23rd July 2007, 14:11
Hi Guys,
I have just completed a project which is an emergency alarm for old people. It sends a 5 digit link code via the Telco network to a control room using DTMF signalling. The receiving (base) station is controlled by a 16F876 and puts the link code onto a backlit LCD. A PC database (Access)brings up the subscriber info when it is manually entered after reading the LCD.

What I want to do is to send the link code from PIC to PC using RS-232 and have the database automatically display the correct subscriber record. I know this can be done using VB and MSCOMM, but because my VB smarts are limited, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any help appreciated

Angus Anderson

mackrackit
- 23rd July 2007, 14:23
Search post by T.Jackson. He posted some info on this awhile back.
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6597
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6356

sayzer
- 23rd July 2007, 15:12
Hi Guys,
I have just completed a project which is an emergency alarm for old people. It sends a 5 digit link code via the Telco network to a control room using DTMF signalling. The receiving (base) station is controlled by a 16F876 and puts the link code onto a backlit LCD. A PC database (Access)brings up the subscriber info when it is manually entered after reading the LCD.

What I want to do is to send the link code from PIC to PC using RS-232 and have the database automatically display the correct subscriber record. I know this can be done using VB and MSCOMM, but because my VB smarts are limited, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any help appreciated

Angus Anderson

How old are these people?

-------------------------------

Luciano
- 23rd July 2007, 15:30
How old are these people?

Hi Sayzer,

Are you concerned that they could die before the project is completed?

I believe they just have to press a button and the device sends a
preprogrammed 5 digits DTMF code to the control room.

Best regards,

Luciano

sayzer
- 23rd July 2007, 15:38
Sorry Luciano,

I did not have any intention in asking that question, seriously.

I was just wondering; no offense, please.

-----------------------

Angus Anderson
- 29th July 2007, 11:11
Hi Guys-

Aimed mainly at people living alone in retirement complexes, and usually in their 70's or 80's. One of the biggest problems is that infirm old people often slip & fall or have an attack of some sort and have no way of calling for help. One button press on a remote around the neck contacts a control room and opens a hands free conversation

Thanks for the replies, chaps. I will look at those refs.

Angus

T.Jackson
- 29th July 2007, 13:26
It's quite easy to do, I posted couple of snippets a while back (as mackrackit pointed out) but forget about mscomm, use the drop in class, much more flexible. Only because it's for Grandma (could be mine) - let me know if you need any help.