PDA

View Full Version : Error programming 16F688

manxman
- 22nd July 2007, 14:25
I am using PBP V2.45 with Microcode Studio V2.45A. When I try to compile a program for the 16F688, Microcode Studio gives the error message:

Error in parameter "16F688"

This happens even when the program is only 1 line or even no lines (just a comment)! Any ideas?

b1arrk5
- 22nd July 2007, 15:02
Just a guess, but you might try the patch for version 2.45 from MeLabs;
http://www.melabs.com/downloads/P245A1.EXE, and see if that changes anything.

Jerry.

manxman
- 22nd July 2007, 19:34
Thanks for the idea. I downloaded the patch program and ran it. However, the program replies:

"Nothing to do! The files are already updated."

So no solution I'm afraid!

mackrackit
- 22nd July 2007, 19:59
Thanks for the idea. I downloaded the patch program and ran it. However, the program replies:

"Nothing to do! The files are already updated."

That is not the correct response. From melabs Software patch for PICBASIC PRO™ version 2.45.: http://www.melabs.com/support/patches.htm

If you try to patch an installation that has been patched previously, you will receive the error: "This program cannot update the installed version of PICBASIC PRO Compiler because of the following reasons: c:\pbp\PIC12F683.BAS: unknown version." If you see this, you don't need the patch.
Just an observation:)

manxman
- 22nd July 2007, 21:42
Downloading this patch from Melabs and running it produces the same "Nothing to do" error message. I have had no problem compiling for other 16F*** and 18F*** PIC devices.

Bruce
- 22nd July 2007, 22:36
Have you tried updating to the latest version of MicroCode Studio?

The 2.45 patch only works if you have a version of 2.45 that was
shipped before the update. You may have a version 2.45 that already
included the update, so the patch doesn't do anything.

I would try compiling from the command line too. That would at least
tell you if it's MCS or PBP.

dhouston
- 23rd July 2007, 00:34
Is the 16F688 listed in the MCS drop-down combo box? If not and your version of PBP does support that chip, I think all you need to do is edit pic.ini which is in the folder where you installed MCS. That has worked for me in the past.

manxman
- 23rd July 2007, 15:26
Yes, it is in the Microcode Studio combo box! I select this processor but the error appears!

dhouston
- 23rd July 2007, 15:54
Yes, it is in the Microcode Studio combo box! I select this processor but the error appears!
Then I think you need a later version of PBP.

manxman
- 23rd July 2007, 21:10
I have had brilliant help from David Barker (Mecanique) and Charles Leo (MElabs) about this problem.

The solution is: In MicroCode Studio, click View - Compile And Program Options, then on the Assembler tab, uncheck the Use MPASM option. It then compiles OK.

Charles advises that MPASMWIN 5.11 has a problem in its header file for the 16F688. This can be fixed by upgrading MPASMWIN.

The link to the MPLAB download is:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/mp761a.zip