PDA

View Full Version : The collective effort is amazing!

Pic_User
- 24th June 2007, 16:41
Thank you to everyone who tries to help us learn, on this forum.
Thanks for your time effort and patience.
Even if you are helping a beginner to blink an LED, the post stays here for the next 1000 readers to learn from.
The legacy of information, stored here is the bigger value.

Every post explaining how to “invent a wheel”, causes future learners not to be hung-up on that particular hurtle.
If one person asks, there are and will be others with exactly the same type of question.
The forum, is extremely valuable to everyone involved.

This is why it is not so instructive to say “look at your green” or “blue book”. As the manuals change over the future years, saying, “see page 31 paragraph 7.5”, becomes useless.

Some of the “answer givers”, are suspicious of where someone, got their PBC or PBP software.
They have taken a course of policing “bootleg copies” by cryptically saying, to look at certain chapter, paragraph “if you have it”.
This might work if there was no HTML or PDF copies freely available.

It seems that being a policeman is outside the scope of what is expected here. Even if the question comes from an unconfirmed PicBASIC licensee, the answer is valuable to all. It is good practice to insert enough information to solve the problem, AND a reference to where the information came from. This makes the forum valuable as a stand alone reference.

Let’s try to keep the bigger picture in mind. I would help more, but my programming experience is non-existent.

Again, Thank you to everyone who makes this forum a real-time PicBASIC lifesaver and a repository of information for years to come. Thanks also to Crownhill Associates, Lester, the administrators and assistant administrators. The amount of collective effort is amazing.

My opinion,
-Adam-

sayzer
- 25th June 2007, 11:52

My opinion,
-Adam-

I have the same opinion Adam.

Thanks for putting it into words.

Omer
-------------------

Acetronics2
- 25th June 2007, 14:27
Hi, Adam

I do not understand what you mean ...

<<

1) This is why it is not so instructive to say “look at your green” or “blue book”. As the manuals change over the future years, saying, “see page 31 paragraph 7.5”, becomes useless.

2) It is good practice to insert enough information to solve the problem, AND a reference to where the information came from

>>

PbP Manuals and µChip Datas always have kept same Chapters numbers for same things ( to this day , it's sure ... ) ...

Alain

Pic_User
- 8th July 2007, 01:21
Hi Alain,
You are right it is always better to give some help, then no help.
I didn’t mean, you shouldn’t say, “Have a look at this paragraph of the manual.”
It’s just with only a paragraph or page reference, without a suggestion about what to look for, could cause a little trouble.

Great...now I've got to figure out which manual is the latest version.

I know I used to have 2 or 3 PBP manuals laying around, I'm down to one now, Copyright 2004 inside the front cover. Not sure if that's the latest version or not... http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=41136#post41136

-Adam-

skimask
- 8th July 2007, 06:12
Hi Alain,
You are right it is always better to give some help, then no help.
I didn’t mean, you shouldn’t say, “Have a look at this paragraph of the manual.”
It’s just with only a paragraph or page reference, without a suggestion about what to look for, could cause a little trouble.
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=41136#post41136
-Adam-

And now I've been cross-thread-quoted...
My work here is done.... :D