PDA

View Full Version : Individual pic ID

George
- 21st June 2007, 00:15
I'm building some remote control devices and would like a control from one device to not interfere with another - so would like an individual ID to go along with it's transmission. I think I'll be ok with sorting out the receiver learning side of it, just not sure how to program the remotes all with individual ID codes apart from doing it manually - I'm not really that fond of that idea tho! - call me lazy!

They don't have to have a very high level of security 1 byte would be plenty. Any idea on how I can set the ID into the eeprom on programming? I'm using Microcode Studio and a MicroPro programmer (DIY K128) - (BTW I think a very good programmer)

mister_e
- 21st June 2007, 00:21
mmm... assuming your EEPROM is blank at it's first power-up. You may use a spare i/o and dump a Serial number in? If there's no SerialNumber in the EEPROM, the whole thing just don't work... Still possible to enter it manually when you burn your PIC. All my PIC Programmer software allow that.

If your PIC have it and your Device Programmer allow automatic ID serialisation, you could still use the PIC ID?

George
- 21st June 2007, 00:28
Just had a thought - do you think I could just use a counter in a loop and however long it takes you to press the button on first powerup sets the ID?

mister_e
- 21st June 2007, 00:31
Yeah but... how will you know the results?

Still possible yo use an ADC pin and a trim pot for less fancy solution.

Dip switches as well.

George
- 21st June 2007, 00:37
I was thinking, the transmitter sent out a standard identifier, then it's own ID, then the function. Then I could on first powerup make the transmitter look for standard identifier, then set itself for the first ID that it sees, maybe allow a couple of codes to be set - even just do the search on a jumper connect or something. - I'm inventing as I go here

BobK
- 21st June 2007, 02:34
Hi George,

Did you search this forum for Mister E's PIC Network. This should give you a good start on what it is you are looking at doing.

BobK

Ioannis
- 21st June 2007, 07:43
I was thinking, the transmitter sent out a standard identifier, then it's own ID, then the function. Then I could on first powerup make the transmitter look for standard identifier, then set itself for the first ID that it sees, maybe allow a couple of codes to be set - even just do the search on a jumper connect or something. - I'm inventing as I go here

As Steve suggested first check if your programmer supports Serialization. If it does then it is already done.

If not, then why not put in a special place (program area or eeprom area) the byte you want every time you program the chip. Of course a different one every time!

Ioannis