PDA

View Full Version : Target device <> Selected Device????

deepgfishing
- 18th June 2007, 23:59
Hi, Forgive me for my question as it may seem stupid.

I am a database programmer so I know nothing about this software but I am working on something where I need to program a Pic18F242 Microcontroller.

I purchased the melabs serial programmer with the Zip 28/40 pin adapter.

I am using Pic Basic Pro to write my program that will be programmed into controller.

Anyhow, I have my serial programmer hooked up to the AC Adapter, a serial to USB cable (i dont have serial port on computer) and the ZIP adapter plugged into the serial programmer and my microcontroller plugged into the zif adapter in the pin placement that is required per their documentation (pin 1 next to zif adapter lever).

When I go to get target information or program the controller I get an error that says target device does not match selected device. I have set my selected device in the melabs serial programming software to PIC18F2420. the software says my device id is FFFF and does not match selected device id.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what i am doing wrong? I am lost as to the next step i need to take to proceed.

Thanks a lot guys/gals, beers on me!

deep

BobK
- 19th June 2007, 02:40
Hello Deepgfishing,

Welcome to PBP! I might be wrong here but if memory serves me right you can't use a USB to serial adaptor with MELabs serial programmers. I went thru this last year and was told there's something in the timing that interfers with the proper operation. MELabs does have a fine USB programmer that will work with the adaptors you bought.

BobK

Steve_88
- 19th June 2007, 05:06
you start off saying that you are using a 18F242 but then mention your programming software is set for a 18F2420. Is this just a typo?

good luck

mister_e
- 19th June 2007, 08:39
If it's a typo mistake, then just disable the DeviceID check.. it's not useful anyway... well it may have some advantages, but as long as you're sure that the selected device is the same as in the ZIFF...

deepgfishing
- 19th June 2007, 13:33
you start off saying that you are using a 18F242 but then mention your programming software is set for a 18F2420. Is this just a typo?

good luck

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. First off I guess I will call meLabs and see if the serial to USB adapter will work with this programmer.

Yes, that was a typo sorry guys. Would it be okay if I shared the very simple (10 lines or so) program I wrote and see if you guys think it will work.

Thanks,

deepgfishing

Dave
- 20th June 2007, 21:18
deepgfishing, Contact me thru PM.......
Dave Purola,
N8NTA