PDA

View Full Version : bootloader does not work..

sirvo
- 2nd June 2007, 04:47
hello you all...

I'm trying to make the Tiny bootloader to work but all I get is the same error:

Connected to \\.\COM1 at 115200
Searching for PIC ...
pic sending unknown data: "K" <> F0h=ð
Check baudrate & Start Write while PIC is not sending serial data (e.g. in reset)

i've tried changing baudrate and etc.. i'm using a 20mhz xt, pic 16f88 ... does anyone can help me?

thanks in advance...

Sylvio

skimask
- 2nd June 2007, 06:17
hello you all...
I'm trying to make the Tiny bootloader to work but all I get is the same error:
Searching for PIC ...
pic sending unknown data: "K" <> F0h=ð
Check baudrate & Start Write while PIC is not sending serial data (e.g. in reset)
i've tried changing baudrate and etc.. i'm using a 20mhz xt, pic 16f88 ... does anyone can help me?
thanks in advance...
Sylvio

Could be that you have a load of tangerines stuck in your differential fluid?
We'll never know...can't see any code, don't see any schematic...don't know if you're using a PC, Mac, Palm, Cell Phone, or a bank of switches...

sirvo
- 2nd June 2007, 17:03
sorry.. again, ok?

i'm using a pic16f88, with an external crystal of 20MHz. The RX ad TX pins are connected throught RS232. This one is connected at COM1 of my windows XP. I cant get it to work. Could you help me?

as i wrote on the first topic, pic is sending some data.. so i think the problem is in the code..

The code is attached..

Thanks..

dhouston
- 2nd June 2007, 18:35
How are TX & RX connected? PC TX -> PIC RX and vice versa.

sirvo
- 2nd June 2007, 18:49
i've solved that problem.. and now i'm getting something new..:

HEX: 5 min old, INHX8M,16Fcode+cfg, total=136 bytes.
Searching for PIC ...
Found:16F 88
WARNING: PCLATH not initialised before GOTO! ... sucessfully repaired.,
Could not write
ERROR!

does anyone have the same error?

thanks..

mister_e
- 2nd June 2007, 21:05
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3520&highlight=tiny+bootloader

sirvo
- 2nd June 2007, 22:25
thanks mister_e..

i have already read this post but nothing helpfull..

dont know what to do to make it to work...

thanks again..

supratik
- 6th October 2010, 06:37
How did you solved the problem of "pic sending unknown data: "K" <> F0h=ð". I have the same problem with tiny bootloader. Plz plz plz help me. I am using PIC 16F877A with 20Mz crystal. Tx and Rx connected to COM1(RS232) of my PC running Windows XP. I got the bootloader code from tiny bootloader, did some modification on processor type, XTAL frequency and Baud rate. I am using MPASM Assembler.

ScaleRobotics
- 6th October 2010, 15:02
Hi supratic,

You mention modifying the code. What were your modifications? The PIC16F877A should work straight out of the box, no modifications required, with the hex called tinybld_16F876A_20MHz.HEX for 20 mhz. One thing you don't mention is a MAX232 device connected to your pic chip. You will need it on the PIC16 devices to invert your signal and modify their levels for your computer to "hear" correctly.

If you were using a PIC18, you could modify the code so you did not need a max232 device. http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9058&p=82538#post82538

Walter

supratik
- 8th October 2010, 12:18
Hi Scalerobotics,
Thanx for replying. I fixed that problem. Now I have a new problem. Its not at all detecting the PIC. I think there is no problem with the programmer because I can program an old PIC16F877A. But as soon as I replacing with a new PIC16F877A its not detecting with "CheckPIC" (a button on tiny bootloader). Its not even working with the file tinybld_16F876A_20MHz.HEX. Its saying...

Searching for PIC ...Not found,
ERROR!

Is there anything special I have to do for a new PIC16F877A which was never programmed. Thanx in advance.

ScaleRobotics
- 8th October 2010, 13:20
Maybe there is a problem with the way the max232 is wired up? Can you take a close up picture of your setup and post it?

Here is an example from the PicDem2 board:

supratik
- 4th November 2010, 10:50
Thanks Scalerobotics for all the help I just realise I need a hardware chip programmer to load the "bootstrap" to a BLANK chip. Then only I can use with MAX232. I used PIC Kit 2. Now its working fine with the same MAX232 circuit you attached.... :)

bmmilk
- 12th October 2011, 16:12
hi,
i hope now still can have genius here to help me solve my problem.I have built a bootloader and using the tiny bootloader software.and i hv face the same problem as here.the bootloader showed this

Connected to \\.\COM4 (file://\\.\COM4) at 19200
Searching for PIC ...
pic sending unknown data: "K" <> 0h=
ERROR!

I'm using PIC16f877a,usb serial converter_RS232 9pin,max232 ic.i have followed schematic i google up but still cant work.hope you can help me.

supratik
- 13th October 2011, 07:34
Hi bmmilk, Can you let me know is it a blank chip? A blank chip is something whose program memory is completely erased. It could be a brand new IC or somebody has erased it purposefully. Also can you attach your schematic...

dhouston
- 13th October 2011, 12:40
http://mrmackey.no-ip.org/elektronik/ds30loader/

bmmilk
- 14th October 2011, 02:56
Hi bmmilk, Can you let me know is it a blank chip? A blank chip is something whose program memory is completely erased. It could be a brand new IC or somebody has erased it purposefully. Also can you attach your schematic...

Thank for you reply.I have tried a chip i purposely erase and also a chip with program inside.but still cannot work.when i tried to write flash the program showed the words i posted in the previous post.
http://highschoolrobots.com/serial.aspx
this is the schematic i follow to build the bootloader.what can i do with my problem?

ScaleRobotics
- 14th October 2011, 15:05
What speed crystal are you using on your PIC16F877a, and which hex file are you using? Do you have a schematic of your PIC16 chip setup?

bmmilk
- 15th October 2011, 03:30
What speed crystal are you using on your PIC16F877a, and which hex file are you using? Do you have a schematic of your PIC16 chip setup?

I'm using 4MHZ crystal. the hex file is tinybld_16F876A_04MHz.
ooppss,i dont have schematic of my pic setup.but it works well when i use a programmer to program instead of trying to build a bootloader.

ScaleRobotics
- 15th October 2011, 14:06
Hi bmmilk,

i dont have schematic of my pic setup.but it works well when i use a programmer to program instead of trying to build a bootloader.

So, when you program it with a programmer, you can get you code to work with your setup?

I have used the Tiny Bootloader on the same chip, with a RS232 to USB converter and had it work for me. It sounds like you are doing everything else right, so I suspect the wiring. How about a picture of your setup?

bmmilk
- 16th October 2011, 03:56
Hi bmmilk,

So, when you program it with a programmer, you can get you code to work with your setup?

I have used the Tiny Bootloader on the same chip, with a RS232 to USB converter and had it work for me. It sounds like you are doing everything else right, so I suspect the wiring. How about a picture of your setup?

Hi bmmilk,

@ScaleRobotics (http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=2373):
ya when i program with an external programmer my code can function with the hardware.I hv posted 4 pictures of my connection of max232 and also pic16f877a.i doubt that if my connection is correct is it my usb serial converter spoil or cant work.i dont know.
here are the pictures,feel free to help me check ya...thank you a lot^^

http://bmmilk.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post_15.html

ScaleRobotics
- 16th October 2011, 07:30
Thanks Sylvio,

It looks like TX pin 11 of the Max232 chip (red wire) is going to the RX pin of the PIC chip. In this case RX should go to RX and TX should go to TX.

bmmilk
- 17th October 2011, 10:45
Thanks Sylvio,

It looks like TX pin 11 of the Max232 chip (red wire) is going to the RX pin of the PIC chip. In this case RX should go to RX and TX should go to TX.

ya,I changed the connection.but now the bootloader show this when i tried to write flash

Connected to \\.\COM4 at 9600
HEX: 3052 days old, INHX8M,16Fcode+cfg, total=200 bytes.
Searching for PIC ...Not found,
ERROR!

so what can i do with this?thank you

supratik
- 21st October 2011, 09:55
bmmilk,
Can you check the following things

1. You are supposed to use the programmer to download the tinybld_xxxxx.hex file. Once it is done the chip will learn how to talk with tiny bootloader using serial port. After that you should be able to use serial port to download your own program (try with some blinky program).

2. If you are using electrolytic capacitor for MAX232 check the polarity of the caps. A single reverse caps can create those problems.

3. PIN 11 of MAX232 should go to RC6 and PIN 12 to RC7 of uC.

4. PIN 13 and 14 of MAX232 should go to Tx (pin 3) and Rx (pin 2) of serial port (DB9).

5. Make sure you have the right baud rate. It should be defined in the .asm file.