PDA

View Full Version : Help! sinking fast!

fowardbias
- 28th May 2007, 05:41
Can't program with the Epic. The compiler/MCS is 100%, but when I go to program the error codes start poping up. " error programming code at 0000, 0001,0006,0004 and so on. The programmer voltages are all OK. (nothing hot) I have tried the new Beta version with this result, the red LED comes on (for a short time) with no programming errors and no code gets entered. My original version has the LED flash on and off (normal) but goes into multiple errors. I believe it's a software issue which after reinstalling PBP many times hasn't cleared the problem? I have read most of the search finds on this, and tried all the goodies in the options list, plus downloads/patches, still head banging. Help please?, ideas?

skimask
- 28th May 2007, 07:26
Parallel or USB?
Added/deleted/changed a printer lately?
Read some of your old posts...Try reloading all the software involved, MCS, EPIC, PBP, (Windows :) )?
PBP is only a compiler and doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not the EPIC will work.

fowardbias
- 28th May 2007, 16:32
Ski, The answer is yes. Things were slowing down so much with the lap top (HP) I went for a factory restore and a new printer. The old unit used the parallel port, the new one is a USB connect. Stupid me, I dumped the old printer and software, but found out XP had it in the list and have readded it to the printer section of the control panel. I believe the drivers are in place, although I have no printer to check it with. This is strange, after the MeLabs program install a new icon which I haven't seen before came up with the start menue. It is a (MCS or Melabs logo) XP driver installer which keeps prompting me for proper administrative clearance to install? I haven't got around this yet as it is leading to a F8 or F12 boot situation. Run me through the routine if you have been there/done that. Right clicking this icon leads to compatability selections of which XP isn't listed? I'm sure the problem is in the driving of the port.

fowardbias
- 28th May 2007, 19:06
Dumped both PBP compiler and programming software and reinstalled. It programmed one time as normal and that was it. Now it's erroring out with the same crap and will not program. Is there any one out there that knows whats going on, perhaps someone in the MeLabs engineering group?

paul borgmeier
- 28th May 2007, 21:04
It programmed one time as normal and that was it. Now it's erroring out with the same crap and will not program.

Have you tried erasing the PIC before RE-programming it? ... just a thought and maybe just a straw (that is what I have to do with my PS+ programmer)

fowardbias
- 28th May 2007, 21:52
No help with the erase idea. Just guessing at this time but I think the programming voltages or timing sequences are off or intermittent. I am using the 16F628 chip. Aftering doing a verify and a program things look normal regarding the red LED, but no code is entered. Also the red LED never comes on anymore like it used to when first powered up with computer is off. When the computer is turned on the LED would go off, not anymore. Hardware/software? Don't know yet, time limited with the hoilday going on.

skimask
- 29th May 2007, 04:46
I am using the 16F628 chip.

And another straw...
PIC16F628 or PIC16F628A?

fowardbias
- 29th May 2007, 05:57
It's a 16F628 and I think it's OK. (unless the lot was trash) I have shorted the base/emitter junction of the 2N3906 driver transistor for the LED and it comes on every time. I'll check the gating for the 7407 tomorrow, and if good start running the parallel pin outputs with a scope. Since all the signals have to come out at set times and with defined voltage levels it will be difficult to say that they are good not knowing the programming algorithm. I am getting too side tracked with this considering knowledge and equipment. The supply voltages are OK and it looks like if it's a hardware issue it will be the laptop. I will install the software into the work station tomorrow and compare. Later I'm out of here.

Archangel
- 30th May 2007, 00:44
Ski, The answer is yes. Things were slowing down so much with the lap top (HP) I went for a factory restore and a new printer. The old unit used the parallel port, the new one is a USB connect. Stupid me, I dumped the old printer and software, but found out XP had it in the list and have readded it to the printer section of the control panel. I believe the drivers are in place, although I have no printer to check it with. This is strange, after the MeLabs program install a new icon which I haven't seen before came up with the start menue. It is a (MCS or Melabs logo) XP driver installer which keeps prompting me for proper administrative clearance to install? I haven't got around this yet as it is leading to a F8 or F12 boot situation. Run me through the routine if you have been there/done that. Right clicking this icon leads to compatability selections of which XP isn't listed? I'm sure the problem is in the driving of the port.
Hi forwardbias,
I don't use XP or the epic, but I have heard of lots of port issues with XP.
As I understand it XP doesn't permit programs direct access to I/O.
here are a couple of links of things to try:
http://www.compphix.com/xpprintprob.html
http://www.direct-io.com/
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Evaluation_Boards_Tools/839304349iSensorReadME.pdf

fowardbias
- 30th May 2007, 05:03
Same-O, routine, tried to add different I/O drivers from different sites to get up and running, no go. The NT,2000,XP install driver which is on the programs list with the programmer, help, etc., will not let me install it because it flags out with this "needs adminstrative privileges", which I have already set up. This may be a key to aligning the port correctly. Still searching for the cleanup with this.

Archangel
- 30th May 2007, 07:47
"needs adminstrative privileges"

It seems to me you have to log on as Administrator . . .

fowardbias
- 30th May 2007, 15:06
I am currently logging on as the adminstrator with no change. I now have a clue as to what is causing this mess and will try to work around it later today. It has to do with XP and the port drive.

fowardbias
- 31st May 2007, 02:56
Ding Dong, the Witch is dead, had to dump all of MS upgrades and the wonderful Service Patch 2 before I regained control of the port. Everything is now working as before. One of the files may have been in conflict with the port communications.? Just for fun I may add a few of Bill G's junk back in just to see where it is. MS....love it / hate it.

Archangel
- 31st May 2007, 04:05
Glad U Got it workin' again, I guess that makes you the goto guy for this problem :)

skimask
- 31st May 2007, 19:39
Ding Dong, the Witch is dead, had to dump all of MS upgrades and the wonderful Service Patch 2 before I regained control of the port. Everything is now working as before. One of the files may have been in conflict with the port communications.? Just for fun I may add a few of Bill G's junk back in just to see where it is. MS....love it / hate it.

That's a bit wierd...
I'm running XP Home w/ SP2 and all those patches, all updated and everything...and everything on the parallel port is working, including an old vintage Win98SE era parallel port scanner (Mustek...garbage, but it works). I don't think it's ever NOT worked.
About the only thing I can think of is maybe your BIOS setting for the parallel port (Standard, ECP, EPP, ECP/EPP) might not be set right?

Did you try (1) deleting the printers and (2) printer drivers, (3) deleting the actual parallel port ((4)allowing a complete restart), then (5) letting XP reinstall the parallel port when it restarts (not the printer driver), then (6) reinstall the printer driver?

More straws for you to grasp at I guess...
Thanks again Winblows...but what else are you going to use?