PDA

View Full Version : LCD Mirror image

Archangel
- 11th May 2007, 08:00
Hi Everyone,
Seeing the post about mirroring an LED array brought to mind the question, how to cause a standard LCD display to display as a mirror image. I have accidently caused it to happen but have NO idea how. It could be the basis of a HUD display for a vehicle. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
JS

skimask
- 11th May 2007, 12:51
Hi Everyone,
Seeing the post about mirroring an LED array brought to mind the question, how to cause a standard LCD display to display as a mirror image. I have accidently caused it to happen but have NO idea how. It could be the basis of a HUD display for a vehicle. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
JS

You mean a standard parallel input LCD? The kind you use with LCDOUT in PBP?
I'm fairly sure you can't make a 'standard' LCD mirror without reprogramming the internal character generator. Of course that doesn't mean that maybe you got your hands on a 'special' LCD with a hidden mirror command...ya never know...could happen!

Archangel
- 12th May 2007, 02:16
You mean a standard parallel input LCD? The kind you use with LCDOUT in PBP?
I'm fairly sure you can't make a 'standard' LCD mirror without reprogramming the internal character generator. Of course that doesn't mean that maybe you got your hands on a 'special' LCD with a hidden mirror command...ya never know...could happen!
Either I miswired it or caused a transient, anyway I remember seeing it display backwards, it was early into my beginning to mess with PBP and I didn't know it wouldn't do that, Kinda like Carl Edwards didn't know you couldn't pass on the outside at Talladega and won. Now everyone does it.
JS

Acetronics2
- 13th May 2007, 15:07
Hi, Joe

IF using the "special characters" writing ...

Char_0: DATA $D1,$D2, ...,$D8

just need to reverse $Dx positions

Char_inv0 : DATA $D8, ...,$D1

it just writes on the cursor line ...

That's all !!!

Alain

Archangel
- 13th May 2007, 19:19
I found a link I think shows the answer to this thread and here it is:
http://www.geocities.com/dinceraydin/lcd/commands.htm#entry

Acetronics2
- 13th May 2007, 19:40
Hi, Joe

There was two ways ... flip horizontally ... or vertically

I gave you upside down characters ...

Alain

skimask
- 13th May 2007, 20:16
I found a link I think shows the answer to this thread and here it is:

So you actually meant the it displays characters from right to left instead of left to right. Yes, changing that mode (left or right scrolling) is part of the internal register set of a standard parallel LCD with a Hitachi 44780 compatible controller.
I thought you meant that the characters looked like something out of the old 'Charlie Brown' cartoon strips, where half of the characters were actually 'written' backwards, lowercase 'd' actually written like a 'b', etc.

Archangel
- 13th May 2007, 21:00
Upon studying the link I listed, I see it only scrolls backward, what I want to do is display a mirrored image, without creating custom characters, hopefully; Acetronics, I have not studyed with understanding yet what you told me, programming is a little like going in a pool when you do not swim well, one second the bottom is right underfoot and then . . it's gone! Then there you are splashing around looking foolish, certain you are going to drown, and either someone pulls you out, you pull yourself out, or fail.
Still I am having fun.
JS