PDA

View Full Version : Decimal to fraction conversion

tico
- 25th April 2007, 14:12
I am looking for a way to convert a decimal number to a fraction I have looked thru the manual but cant seem to find a solution.

What I need to do is convert say .0625 to 1/16

I would like a resoultion of 1/16 of an inch.

skimask
- 25th April 2007, 14:17
I am looking for a way to convert a decimal number to a fraction I have looked thru the manual but cant seem to find a solution.

What I need to do is convert say .0625 to 1/16

I would like a resoultion of 1/16 of an inch.

Well,
.0625 * 10000 = 625
625 / 625 = 1
1/16

.1250 * 10000 = 1250
1250 / 625 = 2
2/16

and so on and so on...

mister_e
- 25th April 2007, 14:19
(results * 16)/1000 ???

But we don't see and know what you're currently using... hard to guess

skimask
- 25th April 2007, 14:20
(results * 16)/1000 ???

I'm waiting for the question 'how do I get a decimal point or a slash in the fraction' or something like that.

tico
- 26th April 2007, 01:44
Thanks for the reply mister_e
I have not written anything yet I am just begining this code for some reson I thought there might be some function built in.
Its okay I guess I will just have to do it the straight math way.

tico
- 26th April 2007, 01:50
Hey skimask
WOW 3 minutes went by and you realized you didnt say anything cocky, or did you just have to think for a while due to the fact you couldnt tell me to refer to the little green book at section x.yy

and as for your cocky comment you can continue to wait for the other shoe to drop.

but just so you dont have something else cocky to come back with I guess this will work...............

LCDOUT $fe, 1, #Product,"/",#Remainder

skimask
- 26th April 2007, 03:46
Hey skimask
WOW 3 minutes went by and you realized you didnt say anything cocky, or did you just have to think for a while due to the fact you couldnt tell me to refer to the little green book at section x.yy
and as for your cocky comment you can continue to wait for the other shoe to drop.
but just so you dont have something else cocky to come back with I guess this will work...............
LCDOUT $fe, 1, #Product,"/",#Remainder

What's the fascination here?

And as far as the 'I'm waiting for the question 'how do I get a decimal point or a slash in the fraction' or something like that.' comment...if you'll look closer, I don't remember seeing a name attached to that...unless I missed it.

And sorry it took me 5 minutes to get that comment to you.
I'll try to be quicker next time...mmmmkkk?!!?!

tico
- 26th April 2007, 13:24
What's the fascination here?
The fascination is that you realized I actually helped someone without being cocky about it

And as far as the 'I'm waiting for the question 'how do I get a decimal point or a slash in the fraction' or something like that.' comment...if you'll look closer, I don't remember seeing a name attached to that...unless I missed it.
fourth post down is your comment on mister_e 's post

actually it took you 3 minutes 09:17 first post 09:20 second post 20-17= 3

unless I forgot 1st grade math

I have been on this forum for a little while now and I always dread having to put up a post asking for help due to ridicule and snobby answers from people like yourself.

I try to learn afterall I spent lots of money on PBP a development system and associted learning items, after searching and looking thru the manual, I dont always find the answers to me questions so I need to post to this forum and I always wait for someone like yourself to put a nasty post up like RTFM RTFD or whatever, sometimes your read but dont comprehend or get confused, hence the need for a question on this forum, afterall I thought that was the forums purpose to help others not ridicule your next victim as you so seem to enjoy post after post.

skimask
- 26th April 2007, 13:50

actually it took you 3 minutes 09:17 first post 09:20 second post 20-17= 3
unless I forgot 1st grade math

Hmmm....yep, forgot 1st grade math and reading.
I still get 5 minutes for ME to get that comment to YOU.
And again, I don't see any reference in post #4 that relates to you specifically. Do you?

T.Jackson
- 26th April 2007, 14:23
I have to say that it makes me very upset when I read things that generally speaking put a person down because of something that they don't know. Part of the reason why some people - (including myself) - are afraid to ask questions is being in total fear of ridicule.

Some students at the online UNI that I'm studying at post questions on the messages boards with their name reading anonymous. This is terrible.

Unless you're a complete asshole - true knowledge is knowing nothing at all and not being a smart ass when you're able to help someone out with something. Besides, these people often fall flat on their ass when they're challenged by a true contender. Turns out that they actually know very little themselves. Pretending to be smart better put.

ErnieM
- 26th April 2007, 14:39
tico,

(ignores all the hard feelings going back and fourth)

As far as your original problem goes, how do you intend to hold a fractional number in memory? PBP only handles integers (sad but true).

So you are limited to schemes such as working with your values scaled up by say 1,000, so 1/16 would be stored as 62 (1/16 * 1000 and truncated to an integer) and you can divide by 62 to see how many 1/16 pieces it has.

tico
- 26th April 2007, 23:02
tico,

(ignores all the hard feelings going back and fourth)

As far as your original problem goes, how do you intend to hold a fractional number in memory? PBP only handles integers (sad but true).

So you are limited to schemes such as working with your values scaled up by say 1,000, so 1/16 would be stored as 62 (1/16 * 1000 and truncated to an integer) and you can divide by 62 to see how many 1/16 pieces it has.

I thought that I could use the method described in post 2 or 3

divide say 11.5 to get the following results
5/16 Vector1
15/16 Vector2
1 11/16 Vector3
2 5/8 Vector4
3 15/16 Vector5
5 3/4 Vector6Center
7 9/16 Vector7
8 7/8 Vector8
9 13/16 Vector9
10 9/16 Vector10
11 3/16 Vector11

I was hoping that this is possible to do with PBP, If I am wrong plese let me know. I am going to begin writing some code to do this tommorow.

opps forgot the formula..... as in excel
Round ((11.5/2) -((11.5/2)*(0.9)^0.5),3 = 5/16
I am hoping that PBP can process this type of formula, if not its back to the drawing board

tico
- 26th April 2007, 23:06
Hmmm....yep, forgot 1st grade math and reading.
I still get 5 minutes for ME to get that comment to YOU.
And again, I don't see any reference in post #4 that relates to you specifically. Do you?

Lets see 3 people involved in this thread at that time, Myself Mister_e and Skimask.

I guess you werent talking to yourself, you claim it wasnt towards me so you must have been saying it to mister_e.

but then again I am just a beginner at this, so maybe I have to refer to the little green book to get the right answer. I wonder what section that is under!

T.Jackson
- 27th April 2007, 04:40
Round ((11.5/2) -((11.5/2)*(0.9)^0.5),3 = 5/16
I am hoping that PBP can process this type of formula, if not its back to the drawing board

PBP would have a heart attack with that.

mister_e
- 27th April 2007, 06:22
Yes and no, PBP have it's limit... it's not something new. But decent math approach would save the day.

To make a short story, PBP works with integer, nowhere in the manual you'll find an answer about floating points and or square power.

Thinking never killed... sure you use the easy route... but...

i think few people may need to relax or simply be ban out of here...

Acetronics2
- 27th April 2007, 10:17
Hi, Steve

Why not change the formula to :

16 x 115 / 4 x ( 200 - SQR ( 36 000 )) = 5 000 ( exactly 4721. .... ! PbP will return 5060 here ... )

PbP would do that without any pain ... but not very precisely, as you see !!!

Alain

Ok, ... also just look for possible overflows !!!

tico
- 27th April 2007, 14:25
Oh boy looks like I got over eager with another project, well I will see what I can do to get some sort of formula working in PBP.
Looks like I will be doing alot of debug and lcdout on this one.

skimask
- 27th April 2007, 14:32
Oh boy looks like I got over eager with another project, well I will see what I can do to get some sort of formula working in PBP.
Looks like I will be doing alot of debug and lcdout on this one.

Don't forget about the floating point math routine package that Microchip has (and are at the MeLabs site). Those subroutines will handle the math that PBP won't...but you'll have to learn how to interface with them...

Acetronics2
- 27th April 2007, 14:36
Hi, Tico

I'm curious to see where your formula came out ... and what used for.

looks too much like a triangle solving and inch converting !!!

Alain

PS ... see also here for math ... http://www.micromegacorp.com/pbp.html

a V3 chip is also available ... don't hesitate to browse !!! http://www.micromegacorp.com/umfpu-v3.html

tico
- 28th April 2007, 02:30
Hi, Tico

I'm curious to see where your formula came out ... and what used for.

looks too much like a triangle solving and inch converting !!!

Alain

PS ... see also here for math ... http://www.micromegacorp.com/pbp.html

a V3 chip is also available ... don't hesitate to browse !!! http://www.micromegacorp.com/umfpu-v3.html

The formula divides a circle into sections that have an equal area.

Didnt have a chance to work on any code today got called out to the field.
Will work on some possibly over the weekend if not I will on monday.

mister_e
- 29th April 2007, 16:54
There's still the huge LOOKUP table + interpolation method, but, not sure that i saw the real maths here or if i'm just brainless today... or both ;)