PDA

View Full Version : PBPro for 16-bit PICs (24F/24H/DSPICs)?

Sergeant
- 18th April 2007, 19:20
Hello all, just a quick question if anyone knows - are there any plans (is it possible?) for PBPro to support the "new" 16-bit 24F/24H series of PICs? Or the DSPICs (33 series)??

I am far from expert with the 8-bit PICs, but am beginning to experiment with the 16 bit parts now (for some unknown reason...) as well. I know less about C than Basic or even Assembler, but I suspect I will have to bite the bullet and make some progress in that (C) direction. I see that Mikroelektronika has their Basic for the 16-bit parts, but would really prefer to stay with PBP/Code Studio +, if possible.

Thanks for the bandwidth,
Sergeant

skimask
- 18th April 2007, 19:23
I get the feeling that there's a lot of that same feeling going around.
MeLabs seems to be dragging behind when compared to the other types.
Notice I said 'seems'. There's a not a lot of bugs in PBP, if any. And this support forum seems to roll right along. The other Basic's support forum isn't as well populated by people.

Dave
- 18th April 2007, 21:08
Sergeant, Just log onto the MELABS web site and see which of the 24 series and Dspic's they support. There are quite a few...

Dave Purola,
N8NTA

Darrel Taylor
- 18th April 2007, 21:25
I looked here...
http://melabs.com/products/pbp.htm

Didn't see any.

Are they listed somewhere else?
<br>

skimask
- 18th April 2007, 22:32
Sergeant, Just log onto the MELABS web site and see which of the 24 series and Dspic's they support. There are quite a few...

Dave Purola,
N8NTA

Maybe the programmer is...
But we're talking PBP...
At least that's what I thought...
I could be wrong...
I've been wrong before...

Sergeant
- 19th April 2007, 00:05
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I was in fact talking about support within PICBasic Pro software for the 24 & 33 series, 16-bit PIC MCUs. Hardware to program the chips isn't a problem - I just would much prefer to use PBPro instead of "C" of some flavor, or Assembler. Thanks for the replies - looks like I'm not the only one interested in this (fat chance of that!).

Charles Linquis
- 19th April 2007, 01:56
Yes, it is too bad. It doesn't seem like MELabs is dedicated to support this large group of users.

Maybe they would be willing to sell the rights to some other company.

skimask
- 19th April 2007, 04:05
Yes, it is too bad. It doesn't seem like MELabs is dedicated to support this large group of users.

Maybe they would be willing to sell the rights to some other company.

You didn't have anyone in mind did ya? :)

sougata
- 19th April 2007, 15:38
I am far from expert with the 8-bit PICs, but am beginning to experiment with the 16 bit parts now (for some unknown reason...) as well.
Sergeant

Hi,
Circuit Cellar and Microchip has announced a 16Bit contest and sampling them free. It is a good time to be getting into the dSPIC/24H. Since PBP pro is macro based I don't think it can be grown into a different architecture altogether without major rework. Hope Melabs comes with something fast. I am using C30 demo to get myself into the 16bit thingy. It works even after the demo period without optimization.

Sergeant
- 19th April 2007, 21:40
Yeah - I just got my new ICD2 & 28-pin 16-bit board on FEDEX today - heavily discounted from retail price through the Circuit Cellar contest - and am looking forward to getting my fingers wet this weekend with it/them. This is what prompted my question to begin with. Looks like C30 is in my future at least for a while.

sougata
- 20th April 2007, 03:15
Hi,

Log on to www.mikroe.com and you will find that they are offering dsPIC basic compiler. I have never tried itself. Hope it is as stable and bug-free as PBP.

ronsimpson
- 20th April 2007, 04:20
Many of us are looking for more MIPs. I hate to bring this up here but if PBP will not support 16 bit or DSP then some of us will move on for speed reasons.
http://www.hbbrbasic.com/ ARM basic
On the other hand; for applications involving buttons and a LCD display, with no heavy math or large data tables, PicBasicPro is it!

Normnet
- 20th April 2007, 13:49
Email to MCS: Do you offer an ARM compiler?

We have BASCOM-8051 and BASCOM-AVR
AN ARM version is NOT yet available but will be available this year.

Best regards,

Mark Alberts

MCS Electronics
www.mcselec.com

Email to MikroElektronika : Please inform when the ARM BASIC compiler is available.

Yes, we wil have it but not before August.....
Thanks for contacting us...
Robert Plecas
Support
MikroElektronika Magazine
http://www.mikroe.com

Norm

ronsimpson
- 20th April 2007, 18:47
Has this turned into an ARM BASIC thread? Add this to the list.
http://www.coridiumcorp.com/

mister_e
- 20th April 2007, 20:18
It all depend of your application and budget. MPASM C30 works nice. MikroE... can't confirm how good they are actually. But for their price, i guess it may worth a try.

The ultimate solution, if you want to cover the whole range of Microchip Microcontroller, it's Hi-Tech C enterprise edition... but a little bit pricey for many user. And it's C.