PDA

View Full Version : Long start time

ttease
- 6th April 2007, 21:33
Hi,

I have a 44-pin demo board with a 18f4431 driving a Varitronix LCD display. After I push the program to the pic with a PicKit2.

The problem is it takes 30-40 sec for the display to show the message. Code is below, is this normal? What have I screwed up?

thanks

t

' Define LCD registers and bits
DEFINE LCD_DREG PORTB 'LCD data port
DEFINE LCD_DBIT 0 'LCD data starting bit 0 or 4
DEFINE LCD_BITS 4 'LCD bus size 4 or 8

DEFINE LCD_LINES 2 'Number lines on LCD

DEFINE LCD_RSREG PORTD 'LCD register select port
DEFINE LCD_RSBIT 1 'LCD register select bit

DEFINE LCD_RWREG PORTD 'LCD read/write port
DEFINE LCD_RWBIT 2 'LCD read/write bit

DEFINE LCD_EREG PORTD 'LCD enable port
DEFINE LCD_EBIT 3 'LCD enable bit

DEFINE LCD_COMMANDUS 2000 'Command delay time in us
DEFINE LCD_DATAUS 50 'Data delay time in us

TRISC = 0
TRISB = 0
TRISD = 0

ANSEL0 = 0
ANSEL1 = 0

Low PORTD.1

Low PortD.2
Pause 500

Lcdout $fe, 1

loop:
Lcdout $fe, $1, "Hello"
Lcdout $fe, $c0, "World"

Goto loop ' Do it forever
End

skimask
- 6th April 2007, 22:32
I don't see any sort of oscillator configuration. PBP defaults to 4mhz. And I'd be wondering if your not running off the interal failsafe oscillator (37khz), 108 times slower. you've got a pause 500 before everything else starts running, .5 * 108 = about 54 seconds...the math doesn't quite work, but it's a possibility.

ttease
- 7th April 2007, 14:36
Okay, I added:

DEFINE OSC 8 and added a PAUSE 10 (see below) in the loop: and another message so I toggle between the two.

The message still takes ~ 2 sec to toggle. Another thing I've noticed is that the old program runs for some time before the new one 'kicks in'. I think I'm missing some basic principles here. Any help?

Using the PicKit2 with the auto import and write feature to load the hex. I have used the <ctl>I -<ctl>w with the same results.

As always, thanks.

i = 0

loop:
if i = 1 then
Lcdout $fe, $1, "Hello"
Lcdout $fe, $c0, "World"
i = 0
else
Lcdout $fe, $1, "Wiggles"
Lcdout $fe, $c0, "is here!"
i = 1
endif
pause 10

skimask
- 7th April 2007, 18:30
Okay, I added:

DEFINE OSC 8 and added a PAUSE 10 (see below) in the loop: and another message so I toggle between the two.

The message still takes ~ 2 sec to toggle. Another thing I've noticed is that the old program runs for some time before the new one 'kicks in'. I think I'm missing some basic principles here. Any help?

Using the PicKit2 with the auto import and write feature to load the hex. I have used the <ctl>I -<ctl>w with the same results.

As always, thanks.

i = 0

loop:
if i = 1 then
Lcdout $fe, $1, "Hello"
Lcdout $fe, $c0, "World"
i = 0
else
Lcdout $fe, $1, "Wiggles"
Lcdout $fe, $c0, "is here!"
i = 1
endif
pause 10

Same thing applies as my other post. Your program is expecting 8mhz. If the PIC is actually running from the internal failsafe, oscillator then it's probably running about 37khz. That's roughly 216 times slower than what you are expecting. 10ms of pause * 216 = a bit over 2 seconds.
Something wrong with your oscillator somewhere I'm betting...

Archangel
- 7th April 2007, 22:49
Have you set the config fuses? Which assembler are you using, MPASM or the default assembler ?

ttease
- 8th April 2007, 03:08
Hi,

Using MPMASM, not sure how to use the 'default assembler'. I just found the PIC18EXT.bas file and defs. I can set the clock and other SFR values and test.

BTW, do all suppor the OPTIONS_REG def. The only thing in the ds with OPTION_REG is TIMER0, how come the PORTB pull ups are in this?

Where would I get this information from?

thanks

t

ttease
- 8th April 2007, 03:24
Verified, using MPASM 5.1.

If I want to config the PIC to run at 8mHz, I thought it was simply this:

DEFINE OSC 8

Is this incorrect?

t

Charles Linquis
- 8th April 2007, 03:52
No, DEFINE OSC 8 tells PBP that the chip is running 8Mhz. It uses this
value to set the length of all its software timing loops. This does NOT
cause the chip to run at 8Mhz.

You need to define the oscillator type in the configuration fuses. Look at the
oscillator configurations in the datasheet for your processor, and then do
a search on "configuration bits" in this forum.

Archangel
- 8th April 2007, 08:33
Verified, using MPASM 5.1.

If I want to config the PIC to run at 8mHz, I thought it was simply this:

DEFINE OSC 8

Is this incorrect?

t
Look this over.

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=543

ttease
- 8th April 2007, 15:02
Thanks for the links and info.

Okay, I read the threads suggested and I'm more confused than before but I believe I have the bits set. I checked by importing the *.asm file into MPLab ver 7.52 and looked at the 'configuration bit' and they are set as I wanted.

I got this working by modifing the 18f4431.inc file to this:

; __CONFIG _CONFIG1H, _OSC_XT_1H
; __CONFIG _CONFIG2H, _WDTEN_ON_2H & _WDPS_128_2H
__CONFIG _CONFIG1H, _OSC_IRCIO_1H
__CONFIG _CONFIG2H, _WDTEN_OFF_2H & _WDPS_128_2H
__CONFIG _CONFIG4L, _LVP_OFF_4L

My question now is what is the current way of setting these bits. These threads as ~ a year old and I'm not sure which way to go with the '__config' being replaced by 'CONFIG' so I comment all the '__CONFIG' lines out and added:

CONFIG OSC=IRC,WDTEN=ON,WDPS=128,LVP=OFF

Is there a better way to do this? Can I add it to the *.bas file?

skimask
- 9th April 2007, 02:45
Thanks for the links and info.

Okay, I read the threads suggested and I'm more confused than before but I believe I have the bits set. I checked by importing the *.asm file into MPLab ver 7.52 and looked at the 'configuration bit' and they are set as I wanted.

I got this working by modifing the 18f4431.inc file to this:

; __CONFIG _CONFIG1H, _OSC_XT_1H
; __CONFIG _CONFIG2H, _WDTEN_ON_2H & _WDPS_128_2H
__CONFIG _CONFIG1H, _OSC_IRCIO_1H
__CONFIG _CONFIG2H, _WDTEN_OFF_2H & _WDPS_128_2H
__CONFIG _CONFIG4L, _LVP_OFF_4L

My question now is what is the current way of setting these bits. These threads as ~ a year old and I'm not sure which way to go with the '__config' being replaced by 'CONFIG' so I comment all the '__CONFIG' lines out and added:

CONFIG OSC=IRC,WDTEN=ON,WDPS=128,LVP=OFF

Is there a better way to do this? Can I add it to the *.bas file?

You can make those changes 'permanent' by changing the correct .inc file for whatever specific processor you're using. But you have to watch it. If you want something different for that same processor type on a different project, you'll have to change the .inc file again.
Maybe you could "include" a seperate file that has all of those settings in it...i.e. include "normal.bas" or include "special.bas" and each of those .bas file would have all of you config settings in it, without all of the extra lines to worry about. Then they'd be 'permanent'.