PDA

View Full Version : Schematic Drawing Programs

fowardbias
- 3rd April 2007, 04:43
The problem I am having with any of the drawing programs is the libraries usually don't have the chip I want to use and if they do it's impossible to resize the object within the page. If a new part has to be built it takes forever to get it right. Slapping a rectangle on to the page is easy, but to lay down the correct number of pins and have them come out equally spaced takes forever. (Lets not mention text for now or I'll blow a fuse) Is there a short cut to this or is this the drudge of the art? I have tried PCB123 and Express PCB and both seem the same regarding this. Any help is welcome.

T.Jackson
- 3rd April 2007, 05:22
The problem I am having with any of the drawing programs is the libraries usually don't have the chip I want to use and if they do it's impossible to resize the object within the page. If a new part has to be built it takes forever to get it right. Slapping a rectangle on to the page is easy, but to lay down the correct number of pins and have them come out equally spaced takes forever. (Lets not mention text for now or I'll blow a fuse) Is there a short cut to this or is this the drudge of the art? I have tried PCB123 and Express PCB and both seem the same regarding this. Any help is welcome.

I use Circuit maker 2000 - a shrunken down version of Protel that doesn't cost $3K. While the libraries are quite comprehensive, I have often found myself having to design my own macros for specific parts that aren't available. Designing a macro - instead of just slapping a rectangle on the page - means that you only have to draw it once! Draw it, save it to the library for later recall.
It can be quite a cumbersome chore.

*Best to find a package that supports custom macros.

BobK
- 3rd April 2007, 13:03
Hello,

I use ExpressPCB and have had no problem either modifying an existing device or creating my own devices. Aside from the fact that the pcb drawing program doesn't create the "Normal" types of files like gerber so I can take my drawings and go to any pcb house, I like the program alot and have been using it for over 5 years. ExpressPCB has done many 2 and 4 layer boards for me and they do a nice job.

BobK

fowardbias
- 3rd April 2007, 15:05
I'll look over the help contents for this but I don't think there is anything. What I was expecting was a short cut to lay down x number of pins (terminals) around a box (shape) with equal spacing and ready for the text ID. In other words, pick a shape, pick number of pins, and pick the magic button and there it is and can be resized with the text added later. I know I'm dreaming or talking big bucks programs. Maybe I can make something in MS Paint and import it in. I 'm not so concerned with a finished PCB at this time. Thanks all, later, got to run.

Acetronics2
- 3rd April 2007, 15:38
Hi, Forward

I 've been using The Ultimate suite for years ... all those are STD basic features.

BUT you had to pay something for !!! ( at this time it was ~ 250 US$ for the unlimited student version - no GERBER, or so, output )

May be you could find an old 5.5 version ( 500 pins limited ) ... that was not copy protected !!!
later versions used a "dongle" ...

Now the "new " Ultimate suite" costs 10 times more !!! and no student version anymore ...

Alain