PDA

View Full Version : Hex Editor for EEPROM

exelanoz
- 20th March 2007, 07:20
Hello!

I am looking for a recommendation for a Hex Editor that I can use with my 24LC16B eeprom.

I have made a display project, where the PIC16F628 reads some values off sensors, makes the calculations and then reads some display data off the eeprom and then send it to a LCD and 6x Max7219 LED Displays...

To edit the ASCII contents of the EEPROM, I use UPA2.3 Lite version.I have tried others that I have found via google, but not really happy with any of them, some won't even display the ASCII equivalent.

UPA2.3 - It's OK, but not efficient. It can be a little tedious...Can anyone recommend or make any suggestions on how I can edit the ASCII data on the EEPROM efficiently?
I don't mind if it is dos or windows based.

Many thanks

AP

Normnet
- 20th March 2007, 09:10
tiny hexer (http://www.mirkes.de/en/freeware/tinyhex.php)
Curious how you edit an eeprom chip with a PC hex edit program?

Norm

exelanoz
- 20th March 2007, 11:16
Curious how you edit an eeprom chip with a PC hex edit program?

Hello Norm,

Thnx for the link. So that I can better explain what I am doing, I've attached 2 screen shots, first is from IC-Prog and then from UPA2.3

I open the hex file, then where the highlighted pink area is, I make additions or amendments and then save and write onto the EEPROM chip.

But using these programs / method it is quite tedious if you want fill up the entire EEPROM - - especially a 24LC256...

There must be an easier way. When I open the same hex file in your suggested program, it doesn't interpret the data correctly and shows 'garbage' that I can't understand...:-)

I might have the wrong view enabled...dunno.

A while ago I had a program that worked in a DOS window, I could very easily move around and change things. I don't remember the name or where I saved it on my HD...

Maybe I am doing it the wrong way?

Darrel Taylor
- 20th March 2007, 12:27
XVI32
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

Jerson
- 20th March 2007, 14:01
Looks like you need PSPAD.

Goto http://www.pspad.com It is a programmers text editor with hex editor built in. Highly recommended for daily use. Also has a diff tool built into it.

Jerson

exelanoz
- 21st March 2007, 01:24
Hello Darrel & Jerson,

Thx for the links.

Darrel - I've tried the program - yes, you can navigate quite easily, but it still doesn't display the data the way I want it to. I've attached a small screenshot clip to show you what I mean.
Jerson's suggestion looks even fancier, but still doesn't interpret the data.

That is exactly the same file the IC-Prog and UPA2.3 can open with the Characters equivalents showing on the side.

I open the same file in XVi32 and my screenshot shows how it is displayed.

My aim is to fill up the EEPROM on the PC, then put it in circuit and disable the write feature by connecting the WP pin to the Vcc. The pic chip will never need to write to it.

I can use IC-PROG and the other to fill it up, but it doesn't navigate real well.

i must be doing it the wrong way - or i may have the wrong settings within the editor. I've tried all kinds of option in the menus for displaying the data, but I have had no luck in correctly displaying it.

Many thanks

AP

Darrel Taylor
- 21st March 2007, 01:28
I guess I don't understand.

That's the way I'd expect to see a HEX editor.

How are you expecting it to be displayed?

-

exelanoz
- 21st March 2007, 01:45
I guess I don't understand.

That's the way I'd expect to see a HEX editor.

No...No...it's probably me doing things in a non-conventional way. :-)

I sometimes hold my soldering iron back to front. :-))))

For example: Have a look at my earlier post with screen shot A or B

I highlighted the characters saved on the EEPROM in the Pink section.
See how they are 'human' readable.
Yet, that same file in XVi32 displays like my screen shot C. And the right column has a bunch of numbers that is not 'human' readable.

Sorry it might be my bad explanation, or I am doing it the wrong way.

Thnx

AP

skimask
- 21st March 2007, 01:59
No...No...it's probably me doing things in a non-conventional way. :-)

I sometimes hold my soldering iron back to front. :-))))

For example: Have a look at my earlier post with screen shot A or B

I highlighted the characters saved on the EEPROM in the Pink section.
See how they are 'human' readable.
Yet, that same file in XVi32 displays like my screen shot C. And the right column has a bunch of numbers that is not 'human' readable.

Sorry it might be my bad explanation, or I am doing it the wrong way.

Thnx

AP

Looks top me like the first 2 screenshots are reading an Intel HEX file and doing the format conversion for you, whereas shot C is reading the raw Intel HEX file format and displaying that instead...key words here...Intel HEX file FORMAT...

exelanoz
- 21st March 2007, 09:07
Hello Skimask,

Thanks for info....
I've searched on google using 'intel hex editor', I have DL a few freeware & shareware, but none "convert" it to what I call human readable character format.

I don't mind paying for it, if it works well, but so far some had crashed...(e.g Taruns Editor) and then I tried 010 Editor, but that doesn't display it the way I need it.

In the meantime - - if I don't come across anything, I might have to persist with what I am currently using.

Many thanks

AP

Jerson
- 21st March 2007, 14:02
I think you need a plain text editor. If needed, you would like to see the ascii code of a character? Right? If this is what you need, seriously look at pspad. It has both plain text editing and hex code for the character that the cursor is over. If not happy and you want screen shot C, you can switch to the hex editor mode.

Hope I understood you properly

Jerson

skimask
- 21st March 2007, 15:52
Hello Skimask,

Thanks for info....
I've searched on google using 'intel hex editor', I have DL a few freeware & shareware, but none "convert" it to what I call human readable character format.

I don't mind paying for it, if it works well, but so far some had crashed...(e.g Taruns Editor) and then I tried 010 Editor, but that doesn't display it the way I need it.

In the meantime - - if I don't come across anything, I might have to persist with what I am currently using.

Many thanks

AP

Seems to me that most of those programs should be able to 'load' as an Intel HEX formatted file, and 'save' to a straight binary file...
Any options in those programs for that?

Darrel Taylor
- 21st March 2007, 16:03
I think the problem here is that Intel HEX files have CheckSum's on every line.

If you edit a single character anywhere in the file, the file will no longer be valid. So not only does the editor have to format things so you can read them, but it also has to recalculate checksums after each change.

Not likely to find a Freeware for that.

It would probably just be easier to create the file using MPLAB.

A series of db statements should make it pretty easy to edit. But if you're just editing existing files, then that won't work too well either.
<br>