PDA

View Full Version : Vista - Hasta La Vista Babe!

Squibcakes
- 12th March 2007, 00:05
Ok so I finally bought a new laptop the other week - and it came pre installed with Vista Business.

At first looks, it pretty impressive. I don't just mean aero effects, within 5 minutes you don't even notice it, but the depth of features Vista has is pretty mind blowing.

Vista has so many tweaks it makes XP look like a shareware program. LOL... BUT....

As we all know, the security on Vista has been clamped down, so much so that unless you use the admin account for day to day usage (which MS don't recommend) then your going to have a hard time. Have you seen that new Apple Advert on TV - its so accurate!

Delete a file - Allow or cancel
Install a program -Allow or cancel
Change display settings -Allow or cancel
View a folder - Allow or cancel
Uninstall a program... join a new network... defrag....

Yep you get the idea, MS in all its wisdom have designed Vista with a blanket security cover that actually inhibits productivity!!

Ok so I'm putting up with the nagging Vista User Account Control box that pops up at least 10x an hour (no joke) but what other bugs have I found...

Short List.

1. The % progress meters (which look very fancy mind you) are not in sync with the eta time left (i.e. when burning a cd, or moving files, encoding video etc)

2. No Dvix or Xvid support!!

3. Some programs just don’t seem to run in Vista

4. Programs that need registering, which appear to register when installed never actually get registered!!

5. Programs installed don’t appear in the Start> Program files list

6. Programs can't be uninstalled (as the uninstall000.dat files) never get written.

7. System restore points get deleted when MS updates are installed (No kidding!!)

9. Windows sounds stopped playing since installing codec’s (well this is my fault)

To make matters worse, the pc came with Trend 2007 virus firewall package. Some how, I think Trend must have employed the reject nerds from MS!

The security control in this program is so tight it treats every website, every download, every cookie as a threat.

So now this a typical Vista scenarioi to install a simple gadget from the MS website.

IE7 - Blocks the file from downloading (May contain virus), I allow it.

Trend - Pops up warning me of the dangers of downloads (allow, deny download). I allow it.

Vista - ACU pops up (allow, cancel) to install the gadget on desktop. I allow it.

Trend - Warns me that spy ware may be modifying the registry. I allow it.

Finally - I have the gadget on my desktop!

Now, I'm no geek, nor am I a complete computer retard... but how on earth is someone like my mother who doesn't trust computers going to make the change to Vista when she sees this threats, warnings and dangers which arent dangers at all?

I've already taken the Win2K CDs out of the book shelf and have them sitting beside the PC.

Vista is pretty good at picking up threats - I just wonder if it is clever enough to see this one coming....

Cheers to all

Squib Cakes

bbarney
- 12th March 2007, 13:35
I think I'll wait for Vista SP6,and you better sleep with one eye open Vista knows what you said here :)

Luciano
- 12th March 2007, 13:48
Hi Squib Cakes,

What about PicBasic + Tools. Did you try them on Vista?

Best regards,

Luciano

Squibcakes
- 12th March 2007, 22:06
Not yet, its on my list of programs to install...

BTW, I just re-installed Vista to my audio back! Lucky this pc is fast!

Cheers
Squib

therian
- 13th March 2007, 02:02
Not yet, its on my list of programs to install...

BTW, I just re-installed Vista to my audio back! Lucky this pc is fast!

Cheers
Squib
And it will be much faster if you get rid off Vista